What's new
What's new

Lathe, using different offsets for one tool

D. Rey

Titanium
I have a 6" long part with two different OD threads on it I need to use different wear offsets on each, one is coming out perfect one is oversize by a few thou.

This is tool 6 so I tried putting a different wear offset at T14, and calling t0614 but it errors out.

I also noted I can't seem to use the tool setter to set T6 with offset 14.

Looked all through the parameters and setting figuring there was one for T and offset agreement but did not find it.

Anyone know how to do this?

Don't know if the lathe offsets are different as I have not used one. But on mills setting 15 decide if you can use a tool with a non-matched offset. Will that work?

Sounds like a flexing error, so you can just change the finished size of the threads. Or, give it one more ghost pass to make up for it. I have done that before.

Mike

I use different tool number and offsets all the time just as you describe using T614. I have never had to change any settings or parameters to do it either. How old of a lathe is this. I can set the offset using the presetter on my lathes just by using the cursor buttons to move to the offset that I want to use. Have you tried manually entering the offset numbers from T606 into offset 14? My oldest lathe is 2005 and I have no problems on any of the three in the shop.

Curtis

It's a 2011 st-10

It won't let me cursor over to manually input and it throws an error if I try and use the setter with a different offset.

I will check settings Tomorrow....I'm not back in the shop till then.

I've got the same sort of restriction in my old Mits controller: the offset register is locked in with the tool number. The only way around it was to learn to use G10's in the program. Actually, G10 is quite useful to learn how to use, and if you take the time to record the offsets used and enter them into your program, it makes the program easier to rerun next time you need to make the same part, or use the same tools.

They ( Haas ) must have added a parameters to the lathe software!
It works on all of my SL machines, and it works on a customer's 2010 ST20 as well.
Call them and ask, the option has GOT TO EXIST STILL!!!
There should should not be a workaround, let it be G10 or program mod..

As far as the toolsetter, that might be a good thing!
On my NL2000 it is essential to have the ability to set different offsets for a single station, but that means you HAVE TO MAKE DAMM SURE
you've put the cursor on the correct offset field manually, otherwise it will wipe out an existing one.
In case of the HAAS, just set the tool wherever you can, and manually copy it into a different field. Trust me, it is safer.

Yea I changed the canned cycle "x" value but that seems clunky. I should be able to use as many offsets as I want what if I have a gang holder in one tool station?

I'm calling the factory today see if they know how to get it to work.

I could not find a setting to allow t and offset mismatch.

That is crazy, I have a 2012 ST-20 and a 2011 SL-20 and no problems doing it on either. I have been told they are paying performance bonuses at Oxnard so that might be playing into it. My ST-20 came with the rigid tapping turned off, and there was no hydraulic oil in the machine. I had to have them change the turret because some of the tool clamp mounting holes were drilled at an angle and one hole the no go would just about fall into. Not the best QC I have seen from them. I hope they have an answer for you.

Curtis

Oxnard tells me you cannot use the setter to create offsets different from tool number why the setter software will initially allow it I have no idea. It errors thinking the offset is the tool number and t14 does not exist.

So you have to set a tool and manually copy the info to another offset

I tried to do that but apparently was pushing the wrong buttons. It's F1 after number input to set the offsets.

So it works, just can't use the tool setter to do it.

Oxnard tells me you cannot use the setter to create offsets different from tool number why the setter software will initially allow it I have no idea. It errors thinking the offset is the tool number and t14 does not exist.

So you have to set a tool and manually copy the info to another offset

I tried to do that but apparently was pushing the wrong buttons. It's F1 after number input to set the offsets.

So it works, just can't use the tool setter to do it.

My SL-10 & 20 allow you to use the Tool Setter for additional Tool Offsets...but it is pretty easy for the Highlighted area to revert back to the Original Number...and that can be bad...very bad.

That sounds like a little more work...but in all honesty it might be a better solution.

That is crazy, I have a 2012 ST-20 and a 2011 SL-20 and no problems doing it on either. I have been told they are paying performance bonuses at Oxnard so that might be playing into it. My ST-20 came with the rigid tapping turned off, and there was no hydraulic oil in the machine. I had to have them change the turret because some of the tool clamp mounting holes were drilled at an angle and one hole the no go would just about fall into. Not the best QC I have seen from them. I hope they have an answer for you.

Curtis

I hope this "Performance Bonus" is not true, but I have to say the work quality on my last two Haas Purchases have been way under what I have learned to expect from them.

Had an Indexer Spindle lock up second time I used it...apparently a Spindle O-Ring was installed incorrectly.

Late model SL-10---Loose parts, all over the place from Air Lines, Parts Catcher and Proximity Switches to a loose Auger Motor. Improperly Lined up Hydraulic Union that vibrated from day one to Coolant leaks from lousy silicone jobs to the early mentioned loose Motor. Software had/has more bugs then all my machines ever had. It was assembled with all the love and care of a worker that never wanted to see another SL-10 machine. I was hoping it was just the last of a model run blues...but if it is a sign of things to come....I may just sit my fat Arse back down on the fence and keep rethinking a new lathe purchase.

Machines have been light duty, but I always considered the QC to be pretty high....I really hope this is just a flurry of bad events and will be rectified.

Haas, if you hear us...you "may" get us on one more purchase...but if QC is like that last...I can guarantee it will be my last.

Just throwing this into cyberspace to help folks out...

Celos/Mapps (whatever the heck they are, touch screen nastiness) control circa 2019 on DMG lathes configured to act like FANUCs, I found that NC parameter 1098 is used to determine if you can call up a tool with a different offset. It was found in the “programming” section (sec. 7) of the manual. I toggled the bit and can now call T0820 and get tool 8, offset 20.

Make sure you double check your particular machine/control. It could be in a different spot.

The previous setting allowed using different wear values but not offsets.

Hope this helps.

Back