What's new
What's new

Haas 14 pin brushed rotary connector pinout

1032screw

Plastic
Does anyone has a wiring diagram and connector pinout for an older Haas 14 pin brushed rotary? I can't seem to find one online. I am hoping to convert a 14 pin over to a 17 pin without buying the purpose built adapter. I know what the machine end needs to be but would rather read a diagram instead of disassembling the rotary to trace wires.....

Here is a listing of the 17 pin and 14 pin connections. No need for the Motif P9 connections. Read as follows for the encoder:
Encoder 17Pin Colour Terminal 14Pin Colour Terminal
BK(GND) WT/RD K WT/BK J

The original 5C had a TTL encoder, the XYZ axis had a differential encoder. If you have a receiver board it is probably set up for TTL on the 4th axis. Check if the A axis connects to the receiver board or to the Motif board.
The original 5C drawing shows the TTL wiring, the 5C Rotary cable shows the wiring with the differential encoder.
Original 17 pin Haas wiring drawing attached also.

A SERVO Brush Rotary Table Connections
Encoder 17Pin Cable 14Pin Cable 7Pin Motif P9
BK (GND) WT/RD K WT/BK J BL P9.1
BR (Z+ CH) OR P OR I BK P9.6
OR (Z- CH) WT/OR C WT/OR C RD P9.5
BL (B- CH) YE N YE G -
GN (B+ CH) WT/YE B WT/YE B OR P9.3
YE (A- CH) BR M BR D -
WT (A+ CH) WT/BR A WT/BR A WT P9.2
RD (+5V) RD L RD K BR P9.4
GN P9.7 (SHIELD)

MOTOR
MOTOR WT E/F WT E
MOTOR BK J/H BK F
GND GN/YE G GN/YE N
TEMPERATURE
TEMP RD L BK L
TEMP WT/BK T WT/RD J
HOME SWITCH
HOME RD L -
HOME BK K -
HOME BL D -
H BRAKE UNUSED
M BRAKE UNUSED

5C_cable_Orig.jpg
5C_Rotary_cable.jpg
Haas_Aaxis17Pin.jpg

Thanks for the info! I am hooking up to a RT7 with a brake but I think I can work the differences out. I will just need to look into TTL or differential encoder I guess.

The difference is obvious, a TTL encoder has just A,B,I outputs, a differential has A, /A, B, /B, I, /I.

My 14 pin HRT7 was originally only setup to output three encoder signal lines (say, A, /B, Z) but had a full differential encoder inside with six signal outputs (A, /A, B, /B, Z, /Z). I don't know what sort of magic the HAAS 14 to 17 pin adapter does but my machine did not like missing 3 of 6 signals on my first attempt to use only the 3 signal lines the rotary was wired to output. Gave cable faults. I ended up wiring the 17 pin connector side of the cable per my VF1 manual, wire colors matched and the cable had all the correct conductors to use. I rewired the inside of the rotary to use all 6 signal lines. Again the wires were there just not connected. Had to re pin the connection between the encoder and the jumper coming out of the servo. The hard part was deciphering the outputs from the Renco encoder but I had notes from replacing a Renco Y axis encoder that seemed to match up to this encoder. For reference I have found the Renco encoders used on brushed axis to follow these wire colors:

Red +5v
Blue A
Green /A
White B
Yellow /B
Brown Z
Orange /Z
Black GND

The rotary homed fine and seemed to move in the correct direction, degrees. I need to try it out machining now.

To go from a TTL encoder to a differential receiver you need a AM26LS31C Quadruple Differential Line Driver. I have the Renco RM21 PDF that gives the wiring but it is too large to attach.

Back