What's new
What's new

Little Known HAAS Secrets...

Paragon_R_N_D

Aluminum
I think it would be a good idea to start a thread about all the cool little known secrets that you can do on a HAAS control.

-ALL CONTROLS- You can easily return an axis to it's home position by keying in said axis, then pressing "HOME G28" (Very helpful on mill, for unloading/loading parts, in process measurments, etc.)

-ALL CONTROLS- You can use the position as a DRO. Simply press the POSIT key, page to the operator screen, key in axis, and position, then press origin in the zero ret keyline.

-LATHE- If you have a turret index fault, rather than powering off and re-starting the machine, you can save a lot of time by typing in the letter "A" followed by pressing the "zero single axis" button.

What about all those secret codes for enabling 'hidden' software?

The manufacturer charges heavily for these 'enabling' codes, but would it actually be illegal to know and use them yourself?

Regards,

Mike.

There are the codes for 'sampling' the control upgrades...and they used to be pretty generous...200 hours or something like that. Also, I don't know about today, but 7-8 years ago you could activate an upgrade, and then turn it back off to save the hours.

Brian

We used the 200 hour trial on the VF4 ( coordinate rotation option - we were not planning to do any on this machine so we hadnt ordered this).

We turned it on but there was no option to turn it off....Our Haas engineer had already warned us about that ...

So once on .. it works for 200 hours .. whether you use it or not...

MJM

I think it would be a good idea to start a thread about all the cool little known secrets that you can do on a HAAS control.

-ALL CONTROLS- You can easily return an axis to it's home position by keying in said axis, then pressing "HOME G28" (Very helpful on mill, for unloading/loading parts, in process measurments, etc.)

-ALL CONTROLS- You can use the position as a DRO. Simply press the POSIT key, page to the operator screen, key in axis, and position, then press origin in the zero ret keyline.

-LATHE- If you have a turret index fault, rather than powering off and re-starting the machine, you can save a lot of time by typing in the letter "A" followed by pressing the "zero single axis" button.

Who cant love the instant speed in MDI. "1200" + "CW" no need for "S" or "M3"

To change tools quickly just type T1 or T2 or whatever tool number you want, then hit tool change forward or back. Then you don't have to go thru all the tools to get the one you want. It works on drum or sidemounted tool changers.

Unfortunately the handwheel tricks don't work on the old antiques like my 94.

Another handwheel trick that does work is to move rapidly through a program for editing. The handwheel will move your cursor.

You can turn off the 200 hour trial options. Instead of keying in a "1" for the parameter, key in a "0", that will shut it off so you can conserve your time. I did this on our ToolRoom Mill to use rigid tapping, and high speed machining for a mold I was making.

The advanced editor is really nice, makes it really easy to cut and paste parts of programs, change all of a certain feedrate, I use that a lot.

Sidemount ATC

To change tools quickly just type T1 or T2 or whatever tool number you want, then hit tool change forward or back. Then you don't have to go thru all the tools to get the one you want. It works on drum or sidemounted tool changers.

If you want to bring up a tool by visually looking at which pocket it's in just put in a "P#" (p for pocket) + "atc fwd/atc rev" and it will load that pockets tool in the spindle. I use that one a lot

Another undermentioned feature is the "Retract above R" parameter.
It allows the retraction of the drill cycle above the R-plane by this amount.
For example a multi stepped hole, say 1/2" for 1" depth and then a 1/4" hole another 2" deep.
You'd typically have your R-plane at R-.95 or so, but this will not pull the drill outta the hole and may leave chips on the drill and won't allow enough coolant inside.
If you set this parameter to say 1.5, the drill will retract to Z1.55 between pecks.
If you have macros enabled, you can set this from within the program so the 1/2" drill retract normally and only overwrite it for the 1/4".

*Smart ass alert*

One of the best kept secrets is that you can actually make money with a Haas contrary to what many say.;)

Do you guys use the Next tool button when setting up your tools?
Saves on button pushing.

Why's that a smart ass comment. Sometimes the truth hurts...

I use the next button all the time, and for the record, my HAAS HL1BB has been pretty trouble free other than a couple spindle encoders and the turret collant sealing O Ring. In all the time I've had it, it's been down for maybe a day or 2 total.

My Mazak Integrex 200-IVS on the other hand has been down for 93 days in it's first year, it still has issues that haven't been fixed and it's already out of warranty, and it cost way more than my HAAS. I have also made far more money on the HAAS and never lost a job because I couldn't deliver the product with a HAAS. Sure wish I could say that about our Mazak...

Sure, my Mazak will cream my HAAS when I push a big chip or a large drill... except of course when it's broke down yet again. To be fair, it's a whole lot more reliable once it went out of warranty and I just fix things myself rather than waiting for tech support.

I'd say HAAS has about the best support I've seen for machine tools. Mazak on the other hand makes all my other vendors pathetic attempts at support seem like they are world class! :rolleyes5:

We had a keyboard go bad, the replacment had the handwheel override buttons on it and as I was installing it I thought it was going to be just great having the buttons but not having them work. When I turned it on to my amazement they do work.

We had a keyboard go bad, the replacment had the handwheel override buttons on it and as I was installing it I thought it was going to be just great having the buttons but not having them work. When I turned it on to my amazement they do work.

Interesting:scratchchin:

So what kind of money are we talking for a new keypad?

Keypad--$300.00

OT Is it just my puter / connection or is this site r u n n i n g r e a l s l o w.

Everyplace else seems fine just here and PM, it's like the dial up days.

Who cant love the instant speed in MDI. "1200" + "CW" no need for "S" or "M3"

This also works in Handle mode and actually while a program is running you can type in a rpm "3500" and the spindle speed will change. You have press Feed Hold then enter the rpm and "CW", then press Start.

SIM

There is an exhaustive thread in the General forum about PM being slow.
I think it is fixed already, so the quick solution is to clear your cache in whatever browser you're using and all will be fine.
That's what I did.

Back