What's new
What's new

Looking to buy 2004 Haas SL-40 T and questions

rollerman13

Plastic
Hello,

I have been eyeballing a 2004 Haas SL-40T machine for our new business because the work envelope and features are spot on with what we need. We want to avoid taking on debt and thus, cannot afford a new machine of this type so our options are somewhat limited.

We have never owned, nor operated, a Haas machine of any kind. We have used extensively older (circa year 2000) mori seiki SLs and flat bed polish lathes.

This Haas has live tooling, the "larger" hybrid turret, and a 2012 control upgrade from Haas (not the newest control, but the generation beforehand). The specs on this machine would lead me to believe it would be pretty robust but I'm wondering from any of you with experience can comment. I will admit, the tailstock assembly doesn't look as beefy as I would expect for a 55HP machine that can machine over 25" diameter x 40" + Length. But what do I know... I'm no machine tool designer

Anyways, I would be grateful for any comments, thoughts, experiences with this type of machine from Haas. I know machine condition is huge, but putting that aside and looking at the machine overall I am curious to what users may have experienced in the past. If anyone has anything to look out for on a 15 year old machine like this I'd be all ears too.

FYI we will be running the machine two to three hours a day on one shift, mostly mild carbon steel, alloy steel (think 4140), and 300 series SS.

Thanks for reading and helping out,

Rollerman13

edit: FYI

Back