What's new
What's new

Looking at a new UMC-500

roamer

Aluminum
Hey guys,
Anyone here run or own a UMC-500?
I'm seriously considering a new one.
I was looking at a 750 a couple years ago, but it won't fit in the door and my ceiling is too low.
Then the 500 cam out. That will fit.
So, I'm curious how it's working for you?
Thanks for any and all info,
Eddie

Hey guys,
Anyone here run or own a UMC-500?
I'm seriously considering a new one.
I was looking at a 750 a couple years ago, but it won't fit in the door and my ceiling is too low.
Then the 500 cam out. That will fit.
So, I'm curious how it's working for you?
Thanks for any and all info,
Eddie

We have one and been using it in production for close to a year. Chip conveyor and chip evacuation is bad. You need much better chip conveyor to get chips to evacuate otherwise watch for floods in the shop.

Uncontrolled Z-axis growth is still unsolved and they have no clue what is causing it. It looks like its software issue, they did lot of testing on my machine, could not find what is causing it, ended up disconnecting spindle head thermal sensor. I still notice Z-axis growth, less than before but issue is still there. I have largely programmed around it and do not make parts on UMC-500 which have Z as critical dimension. I doubt this will be fixed any time soon.

Its not bad machine for a price, but you need to be aware of these issues before you plop all that cash.

I talked to a Haas tech about it a couple months ago. They said it's a resolved issue, but take that with a grain of salt, and I'll take Coffeetek's word that it isn't resolved at least on their machine.

We are running with the thermal sensor un plugged. Just spoke with Haas this week said new machines were being shipped with sensor bypassed for now. This is on a umc 1000 it just turned 1 year old
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buying equipment is a business decision, and buying a Haas UMC is a matter of managing expectations.

Often times people will look at a UMC500 and think that it's a budget equivalent of a high end German machine, and it'll do everything the more expensive machine can do, but maybe only 75% as well. That's not really the case. A better way to look at is that the UMC will do 75% of the jobs pretty well and will flounder on the remaining 25%. This is where having other equipment in your shop can be very important because it allows you to cherry pick the jobs that you run on the UMC, so every job that runs on the UMC goes smoothly.

Disclaimer: Note that I picked the number 75% arbitrarily. YMMV.

As for the business decision, Haas is the king of resale value. We have two UMC500s purchased a year ago, and if we were to sell these machines on the used market today, we'd make money. Machine tools are meant to generate revenue by running them. Rarely are they an appreciating asset, but certain models of Haas machines are just that, and the UMC500 is one of them. Even though we have no plans to actually sell these machines, knowing their resale value provides liquidity that affects our other financial decisions. It's also nice knowing that our money is parked rather than spent, and that we're essentially renting these machines for free.

We're about to put in an order for two or three more UMC500s, in addition to a handful of VF2s - another Haas model that holds value insanely well.

Back