What's new
What's new

Low hours 2008 VF2 steel chips under way covers

cnctopher

Plastic
Just looking for some advice. I haven't owned this machine for very long and after seeing another post here with someone who has a Sharp VMC with chips under the way covers, I couldn't stop thinking about it and checked on my machine. sure enough, there are a good amount of chips under the covers. Is this common on Haas machines? I know it's a 2008 but it's only got 3000 hours on it and you wouldn't think it needed way seals with such low hours. but since it clearly does, does anyone know where I can find new wiper rubber other than $1000 from Haas? Also, what recommendations would you guys make for how deep to clean this machine up? Should I be taking apart things? Im going to own this machine a long time and need it to be reliable. Thanks fellas.
IMG_7710.jpg

That isn’t too bad compared to the used machine we bought that only can cast. It was caked under the way covers. We used a narrow putty knife to get the majority of it then let simple green soak in and vacuum out more and slowly pick out the rest. I don’t think I would disassemble more than pulling the covers back. Just wipe the guide rails down when you are done taking out chips and put some way oil on your finger to make sure they aren’t dry from the simple green. Wouldn’t hurt to check your lube lines while you are in there. We had a cracked manifold in ours but that is easier to see by removing the back cover and a pita to replace.

I think tis pretty common. More-so depending on the fit of the covers. on our replaced Y cover. There are larger gaps which allow more chips in. Ended up trying to flex it back into shape. did not do much- in the end, a narrow wiper-like cover went on the sliding edge. It Helped. We did replace our wipers on X also. Are you making fines or bigger stuff. If it really bugs you, I think I've heard of some bellow's style coverings?

Thanks for the suggestion! Ive taken all the covers off this weekend and doing a big clean on it. Found a little rust on the far ends of the Y axis and some chunks missing out of the wipers of the linear guide seals, other than that there doesnt seem to be any real damage.

Im machining only aluminum and stainless. This machine doesn't appear to have ever seen cast iron thank god! your situation sounds horrible!

What bothers me is the chips packed into the bolt holes in the rails, which indicates your blocks have plenty of chips in them :mad5: :nono:. Where are the plastic caps for those bolt holes? Are they pressed down below flush?

What bothers me is the chips packed into the bolt holes in the rails, which indicates your blocks have plenty of chips in them :mad5: :nono:. Where are the plastic caps for those bolt holes? Are they pressed down below flush?

I didn't take a close look at the picture - David's quite right, you have chips in the trucks.

yeah, makes a lot of sense what the experts here are noting. Inspect, verify! I'll need to go pull my pics from the thrust bearing work. I cannot recall how clean mine were but they were not like that now that I zoomed up the pic (mines a 98). Anyway, Some links to wipers and bolt plug inserts.

Search | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

And the wiper replacement guide
VMC - Way Cover Wiper - Replacement - AD0352

And this is new to me.. . Who the heck is dozuki. :- ) (way cover wiper step by step)
Haas Mill X-Axis Waycover Wiper Gasket Replacement - Example Dozuki Site

Last edited:
checked some pics and talked to the Son. Our rails are clean and debris free. Would love to know if this is a clean up and wiper replace or.... hope ya post back.

unfortunately, I've been pulled off this project likely till after Christmas. I'll be sure to post more pictures. I'll probably try to slide one truck out at a time, clean and inspect, then reinstall (if that's even possible). I don't really have the equipment to lift the bed off the machine and true everything back up. Im rather happy with the parallelism of this machine in its current state!

thanks for the links, I did see this dozuki guide before but all the photos are from a video guide from Haas, only on my 2008 machine, these wipers are crimped in and will require some frustration to get them out :angry:

the caps are not pressed in, they are sitting in the holes loose. It's been a minute, but from what I remember, all of them were there. I did find many chips initially in the wipers/scrapers of the trucks. My gut tells me to pull everything and clean it out.

If you use the washdown or air nozzle from the side at an angle aming at the gap, you will force coolant and chips into this area. When new to me I cleaned out a mess like yours. Six years later doing maintance on thrust bearing having kept to the habit of always straight down and or away, not much there at all.

On our new 22' Haas VF2 SS, the rubber wipers on the Y axis arrived kinked at the crest of the cover and already cracking from the factory, the tech noted it on the install. The wipers split apart about 2-3 weeks after install, Haas and HFO both said wipers are not covered under warranty. The machine is only used for prototyping aluminum and when we pull the covers, we do find chips, just not as many as you did.

edit: my bad on bringing back this thread, I'm replacing the wipers yet again, shy of 300hrs on the machine, and came across this.

Last edited:

Back