What's new
What's new

Mini Mill Known Issues

majohnson

Cast Iron
I’ve had my mill for several years and it just over 2 years since I purchased a lathe. Now I am at the point I need to switch to cnc. Reading posts on different forums about the Mini Mill and TM, users seem to be all over place on problems and issue of their service. Part of the issues seem to be related to different control panels. Batteries and USB and incoming power are known for some other problems.

Money wise I am limited to purchasing a used unit. To make either a Mini or TM work for making several of my parts, I need one with a 4th axis or add a rotary table.

What years should be avoided. It going inside my garage so there 84” height restriction due to the door frame. My garage does have high ceilings, once inside I have plenty of clearance. The TM series model would be advantageous because of larger table would help with have the rotary table. My largest part is 8”x 2”x .825”. Doing parts on manual machines I have built up enough work making my own parts, I wouldn’t need to deal with outside work.

Last edited:
Be sure to look for a riser that was added to the machine. I didn't know Haas made one. I bought a used Mini and didn't notice it had a 4" riser kit installed. Now that it's in my garage, I can't lift the head high enough to use the tool changer. I will have to make a special bracket that lowers the umbrella 4".

Be sure to look for a riser that was added to the machine. I didn't know Haas made one. I bought a used Mini and didn't notice it had a 4" riser kit installed. Now that it's in my garage, I can't lift the head high enough to use the tool changer. I will have to make a special bracket that lowers the umbrella 4".

If all you need is 4" then wouldn't it be easier to cut a small 4" vault in your ceiling?
4" wouldn't even go above the beams in the ceiling.

....It going inside my garage so there 84” height restriction due to the door frame. My garage does have high ceilings, once inside I have plenty of clearance. The TM series model would be advantageous because of larger table would help with have the rotary table. My largest part is 8”x 2”x .825”.

Not sure of the TM's capacity, but consider putting the largest machine you can afford and fit in there. For reasons you'll surely encounter.

What is the number of 8"x2"x.825" parts you'll be running on a monthly basis?

Just squeezed a VF-OE 30x16x20 XYZ in my 7' door. About to bring in another just like it. It would handle a large array of those parts at once, make short work of them then beg for more. And it is still a small machine. (size of a VF-2)

Tool changer motor. It is not well sealed, it will fill with coolant and die. If you have one working, remove it, disassemble / clean / seal joints and wire entrance.

Thanks for the info everyone. Currently there 4 different parts that I’m machining on my BP. Look at the TM series, it would be nice to have a larger table since I need to run a rotary indexer. It would be nice to have a full enclosure to help with the chips.

Back