What's new
What's new

Mini Mill, loud clunk homing Z, slow tool release

BGL

Hot Rolled
Just thought to share - 2007 Mini Mill.
At my paying workplace for some time when homing on the Z axis there was a loud clunk. Since we run a *RTR maintenance program and their were no other issues I ignored it. Fast forward a over a year later and the machine is suffering a slow tool release.

How are these related you quip - they are not, but! Having learned the humphrey valve can become sticky over time and cause this. I had two spare of this $5.85 part on hand for my personal machine. Not being your typical government employee I brought this part in next day.

I pulled the covers and repaired the valve. In reassembling the cover I used what management told me my "unnecessary principals" to scan and prod for any other issues. I secured some of the excess cabling Haas donates to each build and checked for chafing of wires and tubing. Inspected the spindle encoder.

Oh look, the Z axis limit proximity switch screws are nearly fallen out and the sensor is out of position so the the travel is further than it should be. Two drops of blue loctite, 3mm hex key. Covers back on, clean and install the fan.

Nice smooth tool release, no clunk on Z home. Back to whittling!

Note - I reset home Z and all tooling. I presumed there would be a difference. I did not pay attention to the numbers so I can't say it was needed. It most certainly did not hurt.

*RTR - Run To Refusal

Back