What's new
What's new

Mini Mill - Spindle Hours / HE option

Crazor

Plastic
Hi everyone,

while looking for a (used) Mini Mill, I came across the Mini Mill HE (built 2007, pre-NGC). Can anybody tell me what the HE option means?

Also, the machine has ~6k spindle hours. What's the expected lifetime of a (well-maintained) spindle on the Mini Mill? Is it practical to replace spindle bearings and other wear items on this machine, or would I need a new spindle when it's past it's lifetime and does not pass inspection regarding tolerances?

HE Is HAAS Europe

It's possible but not practical to replace spindle bearings. Usually the whole spindle is replaced.
As for spindle hours before replacement it all depends of how it has been run.

Ha that's funny. The Haas sales guy did not know about HE, and the tech (who is apparantly an ex-Haas employee) apparantly does not know either ;)

We looked at the machine last week and it looks like it only ever ran aluminum. Curious that they got only the 6k spindle then. But I could not for the life of me find any steel chips anywhere, and we actually removed the way covers etc.

The spindle sounds just fine in the entire RPM range tbh. It will be delivered to us on Wednesday, but the electrician will not be in until next week. We'll see how it goes when we make some chips in a week or two.

Back