What's new
What's new

MiniMill vs TM-1P for Production

DethloffMfg

Cast Iron
Hey guys, I am hoping to consolidate a little of your knowledge in one place for “the little guy” single-phase machines from Haas. The VF series machines have a lot of info out there for good reason but as a pro-home-shop guy I need to figure out the best setup and the lack of info I was able to find I feel justified asking this. These are some questions I’m hoping I can get some info in! The Mini’s seem to have quite a bit of info out there but the current gen Toolroom Mills with the VF series enclosure seem to have very little info. Obviously your machine has to fit the work you do, and the Mini is perfect for everything I have planned for it. More space is always excellent.

I’m only comparing entry production-level machines here. The MiniMill and TM-1P have 10-tool ATC’s and identical 6k rpm spindles, cost almost the same price with the same options, and the TM gets almost double the X travel and another 12” table width with the nice VF series chassis that would allow long parts to pass trough the side if needed. The TM-1P is only 30” wider and 2” shorter than the MiniMill which really seems like it would be the better deal if space allows!

Questions I have:

- How does rigidity compare? The TM threads I’ve seen have been with issues with the X/Y ballscrews wearing out. The table is also pretty wide for the narrow support the linear ways give. The Mini’s seem from my research to be the more rigid and serious option, funny for the size difference. Obviously these are lighter-duty machines but they still seem pretty stout and capable of quick light cuts in any material.

- the linear way and ballscrew covers on the TM machines just look iffy to me! Not the robust, well covered system the VF’s get. The TM looks like I’m going to find coolant and chips on the bearings all the time. Do these work ok? How does the Mini compare, any issues with chip or coolant intrusion?

- Mini’s get 16x12x10 and TM-1P’s get 30x12x16 of travel... awesome! Would make a manual machinist happy haha. This setup space seems killer, but then I hear if you put a vise on the table it will smash into the door at home position... has this been addressed or am I going to need to pay attention to things or make modifications here? Has the work area in the Mini been just fine for everyone?

- MiniMills seem to have a reputation for either being totally loved by their owners, with some guys saying they’re only for plastics and some aluminum. How are the TM’s? The Mini’s actually seem like a more serious machine to me.

- anything else important I’m missing?

Thanks guys!
Marcus

Back