Mist Away or Haas Mist Collector - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    I've never noticed any appreciable fog coming out of my VF3 (max 7500 rpm). Any face mill turns the inside of the machine into a dishwasher, but it's very coarse droplets, still not sufficient air to make much, if any, fog. I still like to run a vent fan to bring in some fresh air. The lost coolant does turn into water vapor, and the mist collectors don't really capture and condense that, otherwise we'd be using them as dehumidifiers.

Lathes can be far worse with chuck jaws serving as a fan.
    I have 4 mills in 2000ft with 20ft ceilings. The spindles pretty much live at 10-16k RPM all day. Largest tool is 2.5" shoulder-mill. Most tools are 3/8" and under.
    If I don't turn the mist collectors on, you can watch the haze fill the room from the ceiling down. Takes about two hours to drop 10ft.
    You better have the doors open by lunch. With the MistAways running, the room stays clear all day.
    The big (expensive) 14merv filters last about 6 months. The others can be cleaned.

2. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I run a face mill a lot on alum and have found if I kick the spindle on to 1K then turn on the coolant for a few seconds then turn it off and kick the spindle to 6k I can run the mill dry and even come back with a light cleanup cut I get a great finish and vary little mist .. same inserts for over a year and I save about 5 gallons a day on coolant by not running it well face mill cutting. and play with the Auger timer so its only on for like 20 seconds at a time and save a lot on the chip carry off.

Auger time changes with chip size so throw a old ear plug in the auger and see how long it takes to drop in the bucket and that tells you your auger on time so the chips can drain some.

other trick is wash the parts coming out of the machine in a double bucket, top bucket has big holes in the bottom so the chips fall down in the lower bucket and don't try and get stuck to your parts,, at the end of the day lay the two buckets on there side in the machine and let it drain over night into the machine... next morning dump the chips out of the lower bucket and refill with warm water.. In cool weather I can go 4 or 5 days without having to add coolant. sounds like a lot of screwing around but it makes for nice clean parts and saves a ton of money.

4. Likes wheelieking71, DethloffMfg, MaletaBG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great tips Duffy!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was at IMTS and saw Haas had a new centrifugal mist collecting system outfitted on their machines. It had a long piping around the machine to return coolant back to inside the machine. It appeared to work very well when thru spindle coolant was activated but it was on a DM series machine so not a huge volume either. They had no info on prices, but a rep said they were probably doing a conversion kit to outfit existing machines. I was in the market for a Mistaway collector, but after seeing the new Haas units I'm holding off and also considering royal units. I'm still suffering without one for now. I should have bought a while ago but budget was tight and if its really bad I wear a respirator(miserable).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go with the Mistaway......

8. Likes wheelieking71, JFettig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking to purchase a MistAway, do you guys recommend adding the HEPA filter? Or does the MistAway do a sufficient job as is ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mistaway should be all you need ... I have had great luck with them .. it the weather is nice i still open up the shop, but in the winter its closed and still does not fog up at all .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    Looking to purchase a MistAway, do you guys recommend adding the HEPA filter? Or does the MistAway do a sufficient job as is ?
    I was told the HEPA filter is mostly for smoke-type filtration. I bought one with my first Mistaway but never used it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190715_155731.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not even a question. The Haas collector is absolutely worthless. In fact, it may be worse than not having a collector at all. At least the mist/fog would have a chance to settle on its own if it weren’t for a fan pulling it from the machine and throwing it into the air.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    The mistaway in my shop definitely helps get the fog out but the place still stinks of coolant. I also wonder how much the hepa would help.

Country
    SERBIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to revamp old thread, but maybe now someone has info on Haas Mist Condenser unit (not enclosure exhaust unit).

I wonder how loud it is? I couldn't find any info/spec sheet. HFO couldn't help either (Serbia, Europe).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyman View Post
    I was at IMTS and saw Haas had a new centrifugal mist collecting system outfitted on their machines. It had a long piping around the machine to return coolant back to inside the machine. It appeared to work very well when thru spindle coolant was activated but it was on a DM series machine so not a huge volume either. They had no info on prices, but a rep said they were probably doing a conversion kit to outfit existing machines. I was in the market for a Mistaway collector, but after seeing the new Haas units I'm holding off and also considering royal units. I'm still suffering without one for now. I should have bought a while ago but budget was tight and if its really bad I wear a respirator(miserable).
    Don't waste your time with the Royal units.

I have a F-1200 on a Fadal, It works ok if you create a lot of heavy mist, large shell mills, drills with large balls of swarf spinning at high r's. In those situations you can see the coolant flowing out of the outlet. In most other situations though it doesn't collect any coolant. I verified this by putting a container on the outlet rather than a hose back to the tank.

I expected it also lower coolant consumption which hasn't changed one iota.

The big downside to the Royal is the f'ing NOISE!! and the fact it requires 220v either single or three phase. Mine is 220v 3-phase and uses 6.5A when running so not an insignificant amount of power. The Mistaway you can plug into a wall socket.

The other downside is the cost compared to the Mistaway, the Royal is much more expensive, and it's hard to see the value in the Royal compared to the Mistaway.

Also you have to isolate the Royal from the enclosure, I have it mounted on 4 isolation mounts, other wise it would shake the enclosure and the pendant, which wouldn't do the electronics any good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the Royal works pretty good when the post filters are in good shape but they are centrifugal which means RPM and they get a little noisey. Nice setup

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am happy to provide information and pricing on our Mist-Fit series. We have replaced mist collectors on HAAS machines.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aeroex View Post
    I am happy to provide information and pricing on our Mist-Fit series. We have replaced mist collectors on HAAS machines.
    Hmmm, I smell ground meat in a can....... :yawn: