What's new
What's new

Motor and gearbox maintenance without forklift

npolanosky

Cast Iron
My older VF3 (1993) started making a bunch of noise in high gear and it sounds like a bearing. I need to pull the motor and gearbox off of the machine, but I don't want to break my back trying to hulk it off the machine and also don't have enough room to get a forklift back there.
I have high ceilings and there's no support over the machine to hang a chain off of.

Does anyone have any creative lifting solutions for this?

Hey ya... I'll give ya what we have setup, although have not done the motor lift but were close upon a time. A 98 VF4. The Harbor Freight Gantry is a suggestion. 1 Ton, raises and lowers and is wide enough to roll over our entire unit. I can snap a pic if you need. we have a roller on the I beam and use various chain and strap lift devices as needed.

Been a godsend actually on the TRT210 for lifting off the a platter.
Peace and happy new year!

My older VF3 (1993) started making a bunch of noise in high gear and it sounds like a bearing. I need to pull the motor and gearbox off of the machine, but I don't want to break my back trying to hulk it off the machine and also don't have enough room to get a forklift back there.
I have high ceilings and there's no support over the machine to hang a chain off of.

Does anyone have any creative lifting solutions for this?

Can you back a pickup in there? Make a receiver hitch mount for that (ugh) Hazard Fraught crane with hand winch. Much handier than having it mounted to the truck bed. As much as I dislike HF junk, that thing comes in handy all the time. I have a forklift adapter, and keep saying I'm making a 3pt hitch adapter.

You can also get a "pig pole" 3pt hitch boom at Tractor Supply or any other farm dealer for ~$150. If you have or can borrow a compact tractor, that should easily fit in your shop and do the trick.

Back