What's new
What's new

Nasty Coolant!

SchultzProducts

Plastic
our coolant had been "growing" for a while. i really prefer not to use chemicals to add risk to our operators. i was thinking of a DIY UV filter either plumbed into the coolant draw from the tank or placing a uv light in the tank to combat the growth. in addition to the UV light i want to also run an aerator on a timer set for the off hours. has anyone completed a system like this? we have 4 machines that utilize coolant, DS-30 twin spindle, VF-2, VF-3, and a tool room mill. also with the current condition of the coolant, pizza bubbles floating on the surface, should i "shock" the environment with a chemical to do the heavy work then maintain it with UV and aeration? we do have AC in the shop but its 10,000sq ft and we combat with florida humidity.

Im concerned for the machinists health with the current conditions and want to better our operations

IMO and experience maintenance is everything.

The humidity is not a factor, a thoroughly clean machine with fresh coolant to start is the foundation. You cannot simply change coolant.

Your machines are contaminated now - chemicals would be expensive and only temporary.

I say clean I mean clean enough if it were full of just water you would not hesitate to drink from it. Seriously - I have been there and done this.

You must remove all coolant and chips, remove every cover you can, detail clean every nook and cranny, tooth brushes and Q-Tips - replace all hoses, replace, don't bother to clean it is just not possible. Dissemble pump, valves and piping clean everything including everything under way covers and the covers themselves.

Use semi-synthetic coolant with DI water, get a system. Get a Sump-Vac and routinely pump out and filter coolant, clean the sump and return filtered coolant back.

Skim for oil - if you have a skimmer, maintain it religiosity. Keep the PH and ratio in check, run machines that sit idle at times to aerate the coolant or empty the sump.

Coolant sumps are the second thing I notice after trip hazards in a shop - it says volumes about the care of detail the people have. Its work and some expense but best done as a routine not once its out of control.

Its a big return for small investment at the start but you have to reset the quality of the machine first before you can reap the benefits of routine maintenance.

Good luck.

I have to disagree with poster above ^

As far as to the degree of cleaning needed anyways. Yes, you cannot just dump the old and put new in, it won't last long before it is nasty again. We use Blasoclean AF.

1) dump old coolant
2) wipe down inside of machine and coolant tank
3) add cleaner and water
4) run coolant for an hour or so
5) dump cleaning solution
6) wipe down again and refill with fresh coolant

I would not replace hoses, unless they are leaking, that is a lot of work for something that will eventually need to be cleaned/maintained anyways...

The best coolant experience I have had is with Castrol Hysol MB50. First fill with tap water, then top up with dei water/coolant mixture. Ran a machine for on about 3 years with no stink or grossness using that method.

That seems like a more realistic answer for our current situation. the problem was the VF-2 was down for repair for over a month and without any aeration the fluid went sour. I just took over management within the last couple of months so I am working to get a system of routine maintenance and repair. naturally our machine shop side is busy as ever and behind. we have a long production run. currently I am looking for the quick fix until I can dedicate time after this production run to sanitize the entire machine. I plan on installing a UV filter whether in tank or in line I'm unsure off yet, wire mesh pan with cheese cloth for chips, whole house filter with 250 micron filters. I also am going to add a 5000cc aerator for each machine with a timer to run at night while that fluid isn't being used.

Get yourself a good cleaner and follow the directions to a T and you'll be fine. We use Whamex XT and it works well. An aerator when the machines are down can help but if your machines are only idle for nights and weekends I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest factor is keeping oils out of the coolant, and chips from building up in the tank. Also, make sure your guys aren't spitting and doing god knows what else in the coolant. You'd be amazed at what some operators do in the machines.

Get yourself a good cleaner and follow the directions to a T and you'll be fine. We use Whamex XT and it works well. An aerator when the machines are down can help but if your machines are only idle for nights and weekends I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest factor is keeping oils out of the coolant, and chips from building up in the tank. Also, make sure your guys aren't spitting and doing god knows what else in the coolant. You'd be amazed at what some operators do in the machines.

our machinists are very clean and experienced so no need to worry about human contaminates. the biggest enemy is negligence from the passed employees

I have to disagree with poster above ^

As far as to the degree of cleaning needed anyways. Yes, you cannot just dump the old and put new in, it won't last long before it is nasty again. We use Blasoclean AF. ************************************** The best coolant experience I have had is with Castrol Hysol MB50. First fill with tap water, then top up with dei water/coolant mixture. Ran a machine for on about 3 years with no stink or grossness using that method.

Disagree all you would like. Do it once right or do it twice. My machine had rubber hoses, PVC may be a better deal?? Terrible scum between the rails and under covers. All covers were removed so R&R hoses was the easy part.

Two years now on semi-synthetic [I forget the brand] no additives or change out just routine oil skimming, filtering and only makeup as needed, still have two of five gallons started with.

At least a very serious sump and coolant system detail clean.

Soluble oils - if that is what he is using, are six months under the best conditions. Semi-synthetic are more expense at first but save in the long run.

Just how it went for me.

Edit: This is worth every penny. Get extra filters, keep clean and dry when not in use. I have no affiliation but I do own one. It is FAST, easy to use, easy to clean.
Chip Trapper System

Disagree all you would like. Do it once right or do it twice. My machine had rubber hoses, PVC may be a better deal?? Terrible scum between the rails and under covers. All covers were removed so R&R hoses was the easy part.

Two years now on semi-synthetic [I forget the brand] no additives or change out just routine oil skimming, filtering and only makeup as needed, still have two of five gallons started with.

At least a very serious sump and coolant system detail clean.

Soluble oils - if that is what he is using, are six months under the best conditions. Semi-synthetic are more expense at first but save in the long run.

Just how it went for me.

Edit: This is worth every penny. Get extra filters, keep clean and dry when not in use. I have no affiliation but I do own one. It is FAST, easy to use, easy to clean.
Chip Trapper System

i like the idea but will most likely make one for the price. its essentially a wet vac with a filter lol. seems pretty simplistic for $1600!

To keep coolant from going bad:

I have a $20 fish tank aerator set on a timer (30 min every 6 hours) + a coolant skimmer on a timer (30 min every 6 hours). Recently had one machine sit for 3 days shy of 6 months, coolant did not go bad, topped it up and still running it.

Back