What's new
What's new

Need Help :-( 1994 Haas VF0 machine starts running in Y, no information from encoder.

MarioMAX

Plastic
Hello,

I've got another poblem with my haas. Right now when i'm turn machine on, and i'm push reset button for turn on servos machine starts running in Y axis ( i don't even push power up restart button ), and they ignore even limit switch ! On screen Y position don't change, when i rotate manually ball screw, position still don't change, for X axis everythink work's fine. So i'm buyed new encoder,i chaned it, and nothing's change... i'm changed motors between X and Y, and X works fine ( with new encoder, and old servo ) and Y have the same issue, then i'm switch servo motor drivers between X and Y, but no diffrents. On screen Y possition changes in microns ( only in Y axis ) even when engine is on the floor not in machine, it happend even if i'm pull out Y axis cables... so right now i have no idea.

Maybe someone have the same problem ?

Have you compared the parameters of the X and Y axis?
With the Y motor out and the display is incrementing is the motor turning also?
Y axis over heat warning could be a cable problem or sensor problem. Is the motor getting hot? With the X axis motor cable plugged into the Y connector does the over heat warning still appear? If yes, then the A_D converter is bad.

Is it possible you have the wrong type encoder? The output is either push-pull or single ended.
Changing the encoder or power will change the direction the motor runs with commanded position.
If you change one you should see the Y incrementing in the opposite direction.
What was your handwheel increment before, 0.001? If you change it to 0.01 does the Y axis increment at the faster rate? Careful not to have the table near the travel end when you try this.

No, it's not possible, i have oryginal renco encoders in machine, i'm from europe, so machine is set in metric dimmensions. As i say before, machine worked fine, but sometimes if i turned it on, and unlock the estop button and reset alarm "servo off" they start running in Y axis before i push power up restart button and they ignore even limit switch ( earlier it happended maybe once a week, right now it happend every time ), and earlier if i moved manualy with my hand Y ball screw, the position unfreezed and start reading position from encoder and then i could normal push power up restart button, and machine worked well, right now it's impossible, machine don't read position from Y encoder, but encoder is fine, because i changed it between X and Y axis, and servo with encoder work well on X axis, and X servo make the same wierd things if it's connected to Y axis. Of course i checked the cable few times ;-( And i don't understand why position of Y axis changed in microns even if the servo and encoder are not connected to machine.

I'll toss in something from left field. Upon a time our 98 would power up, and then the Y would just start moving. I never paid attention to the encoder or screen values much as we diagnosed it quickly. Is the Y home proximity switch stuck or bad? Just a thought. Diags, y-Home value. We pulled the way cover and cleaned the switch. So I never dug into the encoder and motors and what was doing what. it may simply not count if it thinks HOME is met? Just something to check.

I found our issue quickly w/ a search and a post on PM here which sadly I am not finding at this moment. The key was which direction Y was moving when we powered up. I want to say to the front... Too long ago.

It's a 1min check for you on the DIAGS screen for that bit... so I thought I would toss it out there.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Maybe the simplest solution is the best solution, i will check it tomorrow, and tell you what's news.

Ehh.. this machine have only one switch on axis and it's used for homing, and +/- limit switch and it's working fine. Todey i disconnected Y encoder cable from motif board, but it still change values on the screen:
So i'm afraid that motif board are broken :-( but another wierd situation, if i'm disabled Y axis in parameters Y axis not move, so motif board not sending bad information to servos.. i don't know. But good news, tommorow company who sold me this machine should be in my shop with tested motif board, and with new servo power board, so maybe cross fingers :-) right now it's only a beauty furniture
ndj31nk.jpg

Attachments

• 20201222_200506.jpg
    20201222_200506.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
Ehh.. another bad news, today i connected diffrent tested mofit board, and servo power supply, but nothing changed, this old lady don't listen to me :-(

Hi Mario, Can I ask for a short update/re-assessment.
Is English a native language or are you running this thru a translator? Why: Haas English manuals have some decent Engineering and Systems block diagrams with service flow charts. Would possibly be worth a review here too. I get that your technical enough. We're just trying to isolate here to root cause.

So.. My first question: you power-up, Press power-up/reset and the Y motor starts spinning?

If you do NOT press power-up/reset... those are the screens where you have the Y encoder just putting out data?

Motion and Mocon board. I know you had the Motif swapped.. was there ever a MOCON swap?
and as is often noted here- Have you checked the LV Power Supply. (just to check it).

Ehh.. another bad news, today i connected diffrent tested mofit board, and servo power supply, but nothing changed, this old lady don't listen to me :-(

Hi Mario, Can I ask for a short update/re-assessment.
Is English a native language or are you running this thru a translator? Why: Haas English manuals have some decent Engineering and Systems block diagrams with service flow charts. Would possibly be worth a review here too. I get that your technical enough. We're just trying to isolate here to root cause.

It's not my native language, but i know this language well. I readed Haas manuals, but i don't found answers to my issue, now i know why, my machine have 27 years, and manuals are wrote for new machines.

So.. My first question: you power-up, Press power-up/reset and the Y motor starts spinning?

Yes, it's starts spinning, no infromation from Y encoder.

Motion and Mocon board. I know you had the Motif swapped.. was there ever a MOCON swap?
and as is often noted here- Have you checked the LV Power Supply. (just to check it).

Old machines have only MOTIF board, as i know motif board are mounted to 1996, then Haas upgrade servos to AC, and change boards from MOTIF, to MOCON.

And, some news from yesterday. I connected Y axis to A axis in MOTIF board, and disabled Y axis, but nothings changed, machine still don't read position from Y engine ( remember i changed fully worked servo from X, to Y axis, and when the servo was on the floor, everything worked well ), then i pulled out engine again, and founded whats broken, for those years servo is little bit worn ( shaft moves maybe 0,05mm ) but it's enough to broke enoder ( all glass have scratches ) so rigt now i have two encoders to change.

The encoder 8 pin connectors are
male housing - Molex 50579008
female housing - Molex 70107-0008
male pin - Molex 0016020114
female pin - Molex 0016020086

The encoder 8 pin connectors are
male housing - Molex 50579008
female housing - Molex 70107-0008
male pin - Molex 0016020114
female pin - Molex 0016020086

Thank you my Lord ! :-) So right now, everyhink is coplete, and i'm back to game!
20210225_183330.jpg
Position in Y axis still jumping in microns, but machine working perfect (i think sometching wrong with procesor board ), and this oem encoders are much better than oryginal one. Thanks for everyone!

20210225_204247.jpg

Back