What's new
What's new

Need help with my floppy emulator retrofit

MR.RIZO

Plastic
thanks in advance for all your responses. I've been lurking for about a year just soaking up info as fast as I could along with the help of YouTube to follow the different threads.

I'm having issues getting my 2005 Haas SMM1 to read and write the files... I get a "FP ERROR= -9" alarm

I have a 1GB USB that I have formatted to FAT 32 and partitioned the drive as well.

don't know what could be the problem, I've tried multiple USB sticks same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

almost to the point of trying to do USB to DB25 (Rs232) cable to drip feed, however I'm going to be doing mostly production work and I've read that its not really an optimal scenario for doing production work.

Thanks, Rizo

I just noticed something... You say floppy retrofit. So you're replacing a floppy w/ a USB floppy emulator - yesyes? Then you can only format the stick to 1.44Mb swaths. The emulator can be set from 1 to 99 floppy's (or something like that) as you prese the button from 1 to 99. You format a bunch of 1.44s on that stick. You dont' get to use 1Gb on a 1.44MB interface. Or... I'm doing it all wrong on mine ;-p I have a post from a few years ago on how to use. The gotek website has some windows software to format 1.44Mb capacity . Maybe somewhere in this is your issue? Been a long time as the Son uses the machine and I'm just on other things these days. Peace, GC.

Floppy Drive Emulator - Floppy Drive Connect | Shop Floor Automations

thanks for the reply CG..

Im going to start fresh again after I walk away from this project for a day or so since I get too worked up with all the steps that I've tried to do.. Ill reply again to this thread then..

prior to making the post I spent sometime trying to figure it out on my own..

thanks again for your time

I just noticed something... You say floppy retrofit. So you're replacing a floppy w/ a USB floppy emulator - yesyes? Then you can only format the stick to 1.44Mb swaths. The emulator can be set from 1 to 99 floppy's (or something like that) as you prese the button from 1 to 99. You format a bunch of 1.44s on that stick. You dont' get to use 1Gb on a 1.44MB interface. Or... I'm doing it all wrong on mine ;-p I have a post from a few years ago on how to use. The gotek website has some windows software to format 1.44Mb capacity . Maybe somewhere in this is your issue? Been a long time as the Son uses the machine and I'm just on other things these days. Peace, GC.

Floppy Drive Emulator - Floppy Drive Connect | Shop Floor Automations

When I retrofitted my 2007 Tm-1 (I don’t recall the brand, cheap Amazon unit) all I had to do was swap the drive, plug in the USB of choice and hold the 2 buttons on the emulator for a few seconds. The emulator then formatted the drive for me right at the machine (1.44 meg partitions)

Swapping floppy to USB was a $35, under 10 min affair (why I waited 4 years is another question)

Just read the literature that came with the emulator or their website. It should be that easy.

When I retrofitted my 2007 Tm-1 (I don’t recall the brand, cheap Amazon unit) all I had to do was swap the drive, plug in the USB of choice and hold the 2 buttons on the emulator for a few seconds. The emulator then formatted the drive for me right at the machine (1.44 meg partitions)

Swapping floppy to USB was a $35, under 10 min affair (why I waited 4 years is another question)

Just read the literature that came with the emulator or their website. It should be that easy.

Thanks for your response. At this point I'm wondering if the unit has something wrong. I have ordered a replacement and it should be here tomorrow. Ill check back in with you guys then..

thanks for your help.

So after about 5 days of taking my head off things I finally figured it out..

I dont know why or understand why, but these are the steps that worked for me

1 load usb
2 put the emulator on the correct partition
3 edit on the control
4 F1
5 cursor to the (I/O)
6 disk directory

and "Bam" (Emeral Lagassi voice)
files are all there....

this is the only way that will work...
can anyone explain this to me so that i can learn and understand better???????

while do i have to go through this and not the usual punch in at the list of programs????

thanks in advance....

when i used mine, i only ever used the first file directory partision, only ever used one program name o01001. just lazy, always reloaded from fusion360 anyways.

i would put my stick in, type o01001 and f3 (disk read/copy) it would ask to overwrite the existing program in the controller if one was present (aka th last program i had loaded with the same file name, yes and done.

i never saw the point in making a large directory of my programs as i wal always tewwking them and reloading from cam anyways

when i used mine, i only ever used the first file directory partision, only ever used one program name o01001. just lazy, always reloaded from fusion360 anyways.

i would put my stick in, type o01001 and f3 (disk read/copy) it would ask to overwrite the existing program in the controller if one was present (aka th last program i had loaded with the same file name, yes and done.

i never saw the point in making a large directory of my programs as i wal always tewwking them and reloading from cam anyways

that certainly is one way to do it.. my computer is only 5 feet away so that is a possibility for me as well...
thanks for your input

Back