What's new
What's new

Nerf the Haas? and weird post processor defaults.

Tryhard

Aluminum

I use Autodesk Inventor HSM (similar to fusion360) for programming my 98 Haas VF-0E. The post processor has some output options that are set as defaults but can be changed. One of the defaults is that G00 is disabled and rapids are instead assigned a G01 move at an also optional IPM rate with a default of 500. My machine boasts a whopping 710ipm rapids.

Was also previously told by an aerospace machine operator that the older Haas machines should be run at 50% rapids.
...Not 100%.

Are these things related?

And why not run the machine at 100% rapids? Is this fake news?

I use Autodesk Inventor HSM (similar to fusion360) for programming my 98 Haas VF-0E. The post processor has some output options that are set as defaults but can be changed. One of the defaults is that G00 is disabled and rapids are instead assigned a G01 move at an also optional IPM rate with a default of 500. My machine boasts a whopping 710ipm rapids.

Was also previously told by an aerospace machine operator that the older Haas machines should be run at 50% rapids.
...Not 100%.

Are these things related?

And why not run the machine at 100% rapids? Is this fake news?

As a one man shop that does NOT do production work, I don't use 100% really often as it adds wear and tear on the machine. 90% of the time it's on 50% rapids. Everyone is going to be different.

Regarding IPM, depending the distance from point A to B, the machine may not actually get up to 710 ipm due to acceleration and deceleration.

But machine wear also is played by how well you take care of your machine to. Example, every night I keep tool in and wash the machine down best I can. Empty the spindle and wipe the spindle down with tissues made for glasses (lint free).

I always run a 100% rapids unless I am testing a program out. Not ever a problem.

As for G00 vs G01, the difference is in the way the machine moves between points. If you are moving 10 inches in X and 5 inches in Y in the G00 mode, the machine will rapid to the points in the shortest time by moving equally fast in both axes', thus arriving at the Y position in half the time as it takes to get to the X position. It's called a dog-leg move.

If you were to use G01, the machine would move to the new position in a straight line and both axis's would arrive at the same time.

Your choice, but I always use G00 and take advantage of the speed. It will probably not save you much time, but it is the normal way to do it and you don't have to use high travel rates in your otherwise normal G01 codes. Always a chance to forget to return to the proper feed rate for cutting.

One thing to watch out for is that, if you substitute high feeds for rapids, hitting the 5% rapid button won't help you in an impending crash situation, although feed hold will.

Back