What's new
What's new

New Haas shipping wrap

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
Every video I’ve seen of a new haas delivery, the machine has like a layer of what almost looks like a Mylar shrink wrap or something like that, so I’m wondering if they only do it for certain clients or is it something that they don’t do anymore?

I ask because mine just has a thin clear plastic slip over cover that is just blowing in the wind and isn’t protecting much of anything.

Sounds to me like someone removed the mylar. Mine came last December fully wrapped in clear plastic, then the reflective mylar type stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our mill (~3yrs ago) and our lathe (~1.5yrs) both came wrapped in clear plastic, then was wrapped to the pallet with some thick cloth-backed vinyl. No mylar at all.

After looking at the pallet, it was wrapped up right at the factory and for some reason the movers cut it off. I wasn’t too happy when I seen they removed what they called a tarp and seen a plastic slip, bc all the rain from Houston to Port Arthur. I understand it probably did no harm except for the place they strapped around the sheet metal and rubbed it down to bare metal but when I see water all over it from the rain, It didn’t make me happy.

Also the metal pads that screw on, the guy walked into the shop and start tossing them them, like throwing them about 6 or 7 feet on the slab and others he would just drop. You could tell he didn’t give a single shit. He was acting like a prick and don’t know why, I never got in their way and never said anything to them except when I told them if they needed any help with anything just holler at me and I’d be happy to help and didn’t say anything back. I couldn’t do that to someone else’s property new or old and worn out. Back wheels would not stay on the ground either so it was undersized. I’m surprised Hass uses these guys.

One last thing. All the boxes that I guess were suppose to be on the pallet were thrown in the machine. Some were pretty heavy and had them piled up riding on the way covers. Is that normal?

I didn’t say anything but took pictures just in case.

I can tell you think like someone I would want to work with.

It sounds like you got a crappy rigger who thinks he is God’s gift to humanity. I’d call your Haas dealer and calmly tell them of your experience, send photos of the damage, and let them know that if they ever want to sell you another Haas in the future that they better send someone out to touch up the paint and any other damage and understand that the rigger they hired is never to be seen on your property again.

I'd be pissed if the hauling company touched any part of the wrapping/packaging.

My mini mill had all of its accessories tossed in the inside as well.

Hass VF-4 arrived on October 14, 2020.

attachment.php

How far is your rigger's yard from your shop?

Some riggers will remove the factory wrap except for a light layer of plastic, and then use their own tarp/blanket. It saves them time and they don't have to haul a ton of garbage back to their yard (or completely fill up all your dumpsters). I've also seen riggers uncrate machines at their yard and only bring over the machine.

We're just a few miles from our rigger's yard, so it's safe for them to do that.

I'd be pissed if the hauling company touched any part of the wrapping/packaging.

My mini mill had all of its accessories tossed in the inside as well.

You mean pre-arrival to your shop? Our riggers un-wrapped ours, at the shop... The only boxes inside machine on last 3 new ones was renishaw and control pendant. The rest was skidded, along with coolant tank.

Riggers come in all flavors, some want to work other do not. Some care for what they are moving, others just don't.

I had one set of Haas Movers I thought I was going to toss...but in the end they were very professional when it came to moving the machine into place. I have some very tight aisles with loli columns around. Makes for some interesting moves... So while lots of grumbles they did what they needed to do.

If other I'd have issues signing off on a machine when the service tech came in to commission.

Back