What's new
What's new

New haas TL-1

Cool video! Have you done any heavy cuts with the 4 station indexer? We are considering adding one to our machine.

Thanks

Athack

Hi, I have a 2010 TL-1 equipped with the TT4 turret. I mostly cut Aluminum bar up to 3-1/2" diameter and Stainless Steel 2" in diameter. For roughing I usually do 0.100" DOC in Aluminum and 0.050" in SS. Haven't had any chatter problems (except when cutting long thin parts away from the chuck). The machine is probably capable of more, I just haven't pushed it to hard.

Cool video! Have you done any heavy cuts with the 4 station indexer? We are considering adding one to our machine.

Thanks

Athack

No, this lathe is only for hobby/personal use, I make small parts for my RC planes and small steam engine!
The turret limit the max turning dia to 8" for me it's not a problem because all my parts are really small. I'll make a tool holder for holding some drill for the turret for using it as a gang tool.

Joce

Hi, I have a 2010 TL-1 equipped with the TT4 turret. I mostly cut Aluminum bar up to 3-1/2" diameter and Stainless Steel 2" in diameter. For roughing I usually do 0.100" DOC in Aluminum and 0.050" in SS. Haven't had any chatter problems (except when cutting long thin parts away from the chuck). The machine is probably capable of more, I just haven't pushed it to hard.

Astromach,

What kind of tolerances are you holding? Does it repeat well?

Athack

How do you get 300"/min and 150"/min?

Athack

Mod the specific parameters, if you want, I can email the mod.

Have talk about this to a tech haas guy, this will not be hard on the servos since they are rated at 3000rpm and original setting are only at around 350rpm. The machine is limited in speed for safety, my machine do not have the z handle, all the casting for the z handle are remove. I'm in wheelchair and the casting for the z handle are directly at the height of my knee!! I'll remove the x handle and put a cap on the end of the ballscrew in the next days.

Joce

Have talk about this to a tech haas guy, this will not be hard on the servos since they are rated at 3000rpm and original setting are only at around 350rpm. The machine is limited in speed for safety, my machine do not have the z handle, all the casting for the z handle are remove. I'm in wheelchair and the casting for the z handle are directly at the height of my knee!! I'll remove the x handle and put a cap on the end of the ballscrew in the next days.

Joce

Joce, PM sent. Thanks!

I once had the rapids doubled too on my TL-2. But soon set it back to the original values. Reason was, that the Z-axis handwheel makes a lot of rattle (and I think it was visible on the finish).
So if you speed up the rapids, remove the Z-axis handwheel completely, and maybe at least the knob of the X-axis.

With the default rapids, it doesn't hurt that much when the Z-axis knob hits your balls. :)

I found out the parameters by tinkering in the settings (don't know wether I took notes).

Nick

I once had the rapids doubled too on my TL-2. But soon set it back to the original values. Reason was, that the Z-axis handwheel makes a lot of rattle (and I think it was visible on the finish).
So if you speed up the rapids, remove the Z-axis handwheel completely, and maybe at least the knob of the X-axis.

With the default rapids, it doesn't hurt that much when the Z-axis knob hits your balls. :)

I found out the parameters by tinkering in the settings (don't know wether I took notes).

Nick

Mine have the complete casting for the Z handwheel removed and the x handwheel will be remove when i'll had make the aluminum cap for it.
and yes the slope of the z handle can let bad finish on the parts.

Joce

Astromach,

What kind of tolerances are you holding? Does it repeat well?

Athack

I usually work with 0.0005" tolerances, which my TL-1 has no problem holding. When dialing in the first part, I can make adjustments as small as 0.0002" and it repeats well after that. This is for small sets of parts, 20-30 at a time, I don't know how well it would hold tolerances for larger part runs.

I have made a gang tool holder for the auto turret, here a video:

Haas TL-1 homemade gang tool holder - YouTube

It's easy now for making part with multiple tools, today I have make parts with steel and the holder is nice for steel too!

Joce

I would highly recommend that you invest in a set of stub drills (screw machine drills). Much better for gang tool applications on a lathe.

Also a mist coolant system, or you will be seizing drills and breaking cut off tools. They are pretty inexpensive too.

Have fun----Mike

Back