What's new
What's new

New to me Haas Mini Mill

big_i11580

Plastic
I bought a used 2012 Haas Mini-mill with a 6k spindle, a Renishaw touch probe and tool presetter. Since this is my first machining center, I am trying to get tooling for it without breaking the bank. Here are my questions
1. What do I look for on used cat40 tooling?
2. Any decent places you know to get used stuff?
3. What oils/ lubricant/ coolant do I need for this machine?
4. Should I use 1 or 2 6" Kurt vises.
5. Anything else I should know?

All advice appreciated.

Big

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you're going to buy used toolholders, make sure there are no nicks, dents, or scratches on the taper. Any imperfection on the holder taper will imprint in the taper of your spindle, then imprint on every other holder thereafter. That's why used toolholders are so cheap; most people find it's worth buying new. Most of my holders are from Maritool; they're high-quality, USA-made, and affordable. What kinds of toolholders and work holding you'll want will depend on the parts you intend to make.

I agree with what mhajicek said. But I may be biased,hahaha. But either way if you do get used tool holders don't be tempted to use the old retention knob. You don't know what it has been thru or how it was treated. Also make sure no nicks on the tool holder taper, like mentioned above.

Here are some useful info including recommended torque specs for retention knobs. Do not overtighten !!

MariTool

If the nicks stick out, aka proud, clean them up. Is it a problem if it's a small divot? Just curious. Are the Maritool holders balanced? With the 6k spindle is an unbalanced tool noticable? I've used manual machines for years but am starting at ground zero again! Thanks

Big

Did you get the original manual with the machine?

If so, there should be a few pages (possibly in the back) that outline what (if any) additional options where purchased (enabled) on that machine.

Rigid tapping, look-ahead, spindle orientation (probably has that if you have probing), etc.

PM

I got a Haas manual with it. Seems to cover many models however. I called the local Haas reps and have the lubricants figured out as of last night. Not too much to deal with. I'm sure I'll have a crap load of questions in the future. Thanks.

Big

When you run air to the machine make sure you run it with a 3/8 line or bigger. Many people make the mistake of just considering the inlet pressure but not volume. You need both !! Tool changer works so much better when you have enough volume for the kickout piston.

I saw that mentioned in the manual. They also discouraged using standard 1/4 air fittings due to the small orifice size, the recommended 3/8 at least or just connecting the line directly. I'm going to do the latter. I've been meaning to run air lines through the shop, guess the time is now.

Big

I run large lines in the shop but I have a 1/4" hose going to my VF2 at the moment - never any issues. The VF4SS is another story. It had 1/4" on it when I bought it, but now the smallest is 1/2" NPT.

Where in MN are you? I have some used ER16's that I'm still using but would let go if you're interested.

Otsego, by Rogers and Elk River. I have some coming here in a couple days but I may hit you up on it yet.

Big

If you can't afford Maritool at the beginning, shars is ok. I'd rather shars than used. There are little things about shars that you'll learn why they are cheap, but they'll work. Like for example, the bolt that prevents long tooling from going very far. I bought shars and they have worked fine, but new I buy Maritool. Balancing is pretty much a non issue, especially at only 6k.

If the nicks stick out, aka proud, clean them up. Is it a problem if it's a small divot? Just curious.

If you think about it, almost all "nicks" are actually a dislocation of the original metal. As such, they will result in an area adjacent to the defect that is raised. This is why you have to be careful with tool holders that have flaws on their tapered surface. You may not notice the deformation but your spindle will.

I was in the same boat as you are a couple years ago. Bought my first vmc and made the mistake of going crazy buying used holders as quickly as I could. Now, I either by pristine used holders or new ones from Shars.

gm

That was going to be another question. I've bought other stuff from Shars and Toollots. Have you tried Toollots before? I imagine about the same quality.

Big

If you clean up any dings that are proud, are the remaining divots going to leave a witness mark? Weird things happen at 1000-2500lbs of force.

Back