What's new
What's new

New TL-2 issues

Redline99

Plastic
Hi, our shop is new to CNC machining. We bought a new vf2yt last February and now we just bought a new TL-2. We unpack the TL-2 and start cleaning the grease off of it and we noticed that the control pendant was ackwardly in our way and had to lean into the machine to get around it. I assumed that there was a shipping bracket we didn't take off but one glance up and it was obvious that it was a solid arm. Apparently they changed the design in 2014 to the same solid arm as the shorter TL-1. Now all of the pictures on the Haas website show an arm with a pivot as well as the drawings that they sent in the quote and confirmation package. So now we have a machine with horrible control placement where it is awkward as hell to lean into the machine behind the pendant while holding a heavy long workpiece overtop of the tool turret and then trying to set up the tail stock its retarded. Why not use a crane and put it in through the top? Well that handy solid arm blocks anything coming straight down.
HFO says that all new ones are like that and that they haven't updated the pictures,drawings or the 3d cad files. Well it's 2019 and it changed in 2014 and they hadn't updated the Haascnc website? Wtf
Now I could make my own pivoting pendant arm but that would most likely void my warranty if there is an issue and I really don't want that. Nor do I want to break the pendant off trying to wrestle a large workpiece in there.
Does anyone else have this issue and if so what was done to remedy the problem?

We recently purchased a new tl2 as well. I have the same issue. It kinda pissed me off. To me haas is kinda misrepresented their product since their own pictures don't match. I don't have a solution but soon as the warranty is up, I'll be coming up with one if I have to machine it all myself.

Other than that issue, I absolutely love having this lathe.

The machine was not the same as the drawing sent with the quote???
Sounds like a legal basis for a return if you don't like it...

Off(ish) topic.
Have you used it for large shaft work much?
I'm just about to look for a lathe for cutting 30-40" long solid shafts. 4" max od
Stainless and 4140 htsr materials.
Multiple seal an bearing fits.
1-5 off type jobs.
Speed not the main concern. But accuracy is paramount

Good the bad and the ugly would be appreciated. I've struggled to find peoples view on the new design

Stirling, the screen mount shown in the video is not the mount you get.
As for your other question, Haas encoders only seem to be able to position in .0002" increments, which works out to .0004" on turned diameters.

Stirling, the screen mount shown in the video is not the mount you get.
As for your other question, Haas encoders only seem to be able to position in .0002" increments, which works out to .0004" on turned diameters.

yuck

figure usable accuracy at twice resolution.....lot of common turning work you cannot get done

Well we made our own hinges for the pendant arm we are going to install them soon. It just irks me to have to cut apart a brand new machine.
I can't afford to pay for a machine we can't put material in. It would sure be nice to have haas step up and admit their oversight on a piss poor design and make the machine the way they advertise it, or at least make it an option as their sales brochure clearly indicates that it's possible.
Anyway enough of my ranting, I will post pictures of the hinge that we built once it's all together and functioning if anyone is interested.

Back