What's new
What's new

New VF6 air blast

B88I45

Plastic
We just landed a new VF6, Our other machines use a solenoid wired into the coolant outlet to turn on the air plumbed into the coolant lines using M08/M09. This new machine uses 3 phase 211-259 volts for the coolant pump and I'm having a hard time finding a solenoid for 3 phase. I suspect it would be easier to use the air manifold on the side of the machine with the spare M functions but I'd like to stay away from adding another M code. Also, I was under the impression that the coolant lines have unions that are designed only for coolant and will leak if used with air but I cannot for the life of me find the posts and our older machines have been issue free for years.

The relays are common but expensive.
Cheapest I saw was 68£, and 117-270€ was typical.

A suitable sensor on one leg would work, I think, like measuring the current on the 3-phase line with pinch probe/meter.

What about a pressure or flow sensor on the coolant line ?
Should work and be cheap.

We just landed a new VF6, Our other machines use a solenoid wired into the coolant outlet to turn on the air plumbed into the coolant lines using M08/M09. This new machine uses 3 phase 211-259 volts for the coolant pump and I'm having a hard time finding a solenoid for 3 phase. I suspect it would be easier to use the air manifold on the side of the machine with the spare M functions but I'd like to stay away from adding another M code. Also, I was under the impression that the coolant lines have unions that are designed only for coolant and will leak if used with air but I cannot for the life of me find the posts and our older machines have been issue free for years.

Does the solenoid need to be 3-phase? Can you just pull appropriate legs from incoming power and use a single phase solenoid?

This is from ASCO, For three phase power systems, the two leads can be connected to any two of the three phases.

I was under the impression that was frowned upon under the NEC, maybe that was using a single leg?

This is from ASCO, For three phase power systems, the two leads can be connected to any two of the three phases.

I was under the impression that was frowned upon under the NEC, maybe that was using a single leg?

I believe you're thinking about using a single leg and perhaps Ground as the other "conductor.
That IS frowned upon, as it should.

But, just connecting two of the legs ( L1-L2 ) should be fine, provided that the current draw is minimal and will not throw the 3ph circuit breaker.
If OTOH you only have fuses, then you do run the possibility that if one fuse goes and your pump will be running on 2 phase only.

Nonetheless, a simple 220V relay with dry contacts is all you need to keep the imbalanced load to a minimum, and use it to power the solenoid from any other source, even 24V.

Back