Newbie rebuild - 98 orig membrain/CRT- small "e"' all the time on the input line....
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Newbie rebuild - 98 orig membrain/CRT- small "e"' all the time on the input line....

Hi everyone... sHOUT OUT: Happy Father's Day a bit early to all Dads.

Ok - suddenly getting a small 'e' ... 2 , 4, or more at a time.. they just pop in every sec or so. Pulling boards in the back to get to the keypad cable to clean and re-seat. The small "e" does work from the keypad. Seems like a good depress. in short, does not feel like the E is bad. raised bubble and nice depress. So... it's a long ribbon cable. wondering if there is anything to prove it's the keyboard? or the cable or what folks have seen w/ this situation.

thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen a lot of issues with the Haas key pad. I can't comment on the specific case of an "e", but I've replaced several key pads for various issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. As a general note for others... I've found that manuals vary significantly in content and overview. This image came form the 99. I bounce from 96's to 99's and other all the time to compliment the overall service info on our unit. Passing along for the orig Ops pendant as a block diagram. Going to dig in today.
    orig_haas-op-pendantblockdia.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So here is the reply from the HFO on the small 'e' insertions... OUCH and NFW.

Unfortunately your issue is your processor which would require 93-4421 $14,995 plus labor to install

This will change your hardware to 2010 new monitor and usb drive. Other than that the machine will function as it always has not improvement in speed or repeatability.

I did find this posting set (below) where folks mention both a CPU board or a keypard... and we know the current issues w/ CPU boards. While it's not the Mororola CPU itself, there are a lot of TTL latches for the data and address buss... plus the large Xlinx (sp?) IC's on there. This is gonna suck! it's just a Dad and his kid in the garage.

screen has lower case e's going across the cursor area !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are quite a few things to try before the 15k option. More than likely the Hfo doesn’t have any idea as the techs really don’t know the old systems like the newer.

#1 Check or replace the power supply.

#2 Check all the supply connections. Re seat the parallel flex cables.

#3 replace the video pcb anyway.

#4 You could try having the Hfo reload the software.

#5 map and and check the keypad yourself to be sure it isn’t actually the membrane. It is going to be a row and column type system.

#6 if brave, re seat and clean some of the socketed ic’s. If the wrong ones of course, you’ll be reloading Params at minimum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Unfortunately your issue is your processor which would require 93-4421 $14,995 plus labor to install
    Not likely but an easy way to check is to disconnect the keypad ribbon cable once from each end and see it the 'e' still appears. Then you know if it is the keypad or cable. I have an older machine ('91) but have had no problems with the keypad. As your reference said, it could be a grounding problem. The keypad is a simple matrix switch which gets decoded by the processor.
    I know someone who has made replacement keypads if that is the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! We'll go into this a few different ways now!!! Many thanks. Checking power supplies next. Good call! in the 80's I was an Old Aerospace EET so no fear diving into this thing at the logic level. A few things: I found a source for a old CPU board swap program. $3K if that's the root cause. Wont really be digging in til after. (gulp)... Hay is up in the barn. ohh the fun here.
    Also- I have a o-Scope/Logic probe setup from Diligent. Very cool btw way. A shout-out on it's capabilities here: Digilent Analog Discovery 2 from SparkFun! - YouTube Student Pricing (if a student or teacher) is 40% off! Plus, I have a can of Freeze spray on the way. Cannot tell ya how many bad things I've found w/ a can O freeze spray. :-)
    I think I can monitor the serial keyboard input and see if the 'e' is coming from the bubble keys I'll assume. Maybe even see what hits the ribbon output going back to the serial Comms Again, learn mode- active. LOL.