What's new
What's new

next gen control get de bugged yet?

Some, yes, they've fixed.
Others, that have existed and known to them since at least 2 years: No.
New ones are also introduced at a predictable rate with each new release.
UI issues have not been addressed much, and there were absolutely 0 attempts to make the UI even the slightest bit more comparable to the old control,
which by far was one of the best strengths of Haas for all these years.

wondering if haas got the bugs worked out of the Next gen control yet?

Can I ask why do you care? I always read from you negative things about Haas, and how everything is much better with your Doosan. Are you looking to buy a Haas? (Sarcasm Off).

Cheers.

Riabma77
Yes do have a lot of bad things to say about there next gen controls when I got shipped one in early 2016 ,,, it was the worst control I had used in 35+ years in the trade... "BUT" there older control is one of the nicest controls i had used...

Yes I might be in the market for a new haas "IF" there controls are back to the quality of the pre NEXT GEN.. Doosan does not build small machines and I need one for second op work ...

@3000+ machines per month you can bet the bugs are well worked out.

Seriously?

Interested in a few bugs?
How'bout one for starters: Machine with gearbox-> power-up restart fails 8 out of 10 times due to gearbox fault.
Nothing is wrong mechanically, it just doesn't see the homing signal. Why? I can guess but that's not my job. All I know is I've gotta hit the Restart button
sometimes 3-4 times before it finally homes out.

I`m not trying to start crap about anything ,, I have a couple pre Next gen controls in the shop and for the most part they have been great ,,, I have a lot of small second op stuff coming up and need a small fast machine machine and found that used haas machines are nuts on price ... I like the idea of a DM2 machine in that it uses all the programs from the Pre next machines and tool holders.

I know Haas can build some vary user friendly and reliable controls,,, but there is a time with most new controls were they DE-BUG them and I have no idea if haas has got past it with the next gen or not ?

I`m not trying to start crap about anything ,, I have a couple pre Next gen controls in the shop and for the most part they have been great ,,, I have a lot of small second op stuff coming up and need a small fast machine machine and found that used haas machines are nuts on price ... I like the idea of a DM2 machine in that it uses all the programs from the Pre next machines and tool holders.

I know Haas can build some vary user friendly and reliable controls,,, but there is a time with most new controls were they DE-BUG them and I have no idea if haas has got past it with the next gen or not ?

I've been bitching and moaning about this Brother I brought in the shop recently. Most of the bitching has centered around the control.
But, I am getting the hang of it slowly. And, the taste of the koolaid is exactly what they said it would be: very damn fast.

I have not done an official time-study yet. But, so far, it looks like I am going to get 12 parts out of the brother in half the time it takes the HAAS to do 10.

I know that is not what this thread is about. And, to get back on topic, I'm still whining about this Brother control. But, its mostly me. Its not that bad.

My point: If I had "a lot of small second op stuff coming up", causing me to look at another new machine? It would probably be an S700, or S1000.
(If it wasn't a used 08'-13' VF2-ss)

Seriously?

Interested in a few bugs?
How'bout one for starters: Machine with gearbox-> power-up restart fails 8 out of 10 times due to gearbox fault.
Nothing is wrong mechanically, it just doesn't see the homing signal. Why?

Does your machine have an umbrella tool changer, rather than a side mount?

did you try Current Commands -> Devices, scroll down to Spindle Orient, and hit F2 for orient spindle?

we've got one NGC VF2 on our shop floor with a gearbox that has been a little fussy for some reason, but that seems to solve our problem.

Does your machine have an umbrella tool changer, rather than a side mount?

did you try Current Commands -> Devices, scroll down to Spindle Orient, and hit F2 for orient spindle?

we've got one NGC VF2 on our shop floor with a gearbox that has been a little fussy for some reason, but that seems to solve our problem.

Nope, did not think of trying that, but the issue started with the latest software release.
Before then the machine homed out fine every time, but it was alarming out during program-run every now and then.
Before then there were no gearbox faults at all, except an M42/M43 caused a spindle stop, switch high, switch low and the spindle start again.
That's why I've said when something gets fixed, often it comes at the price of breaking something else.

Old control: Absolutely flawless, every time, all the time.

Nope, did not think of trying that, but the issue started with the latest software release.

which software, specifically? 2043 (the latest version) was released this past Thursday

Before then the machine homed out fine every time, but it was alarming out during program-run every now and then.

which alarm(s) would it throw in these cases? was it an irregular occurrence?

Before then there were no gearbox faults at all, except an M42/M43 caused a spindle stop, switch high, switch low and the spindle start again.

before meaning when you had an older version of NGC software? Which version worked and which one didn't?

That's why I've said when something gets fixed, often it comes at the price of breaking something else.

Old control: Absolutely flawless, every time, all the time.

If your machine is that new, aren't the service guys on call for warranty reasons?

Either way, the more specific you are with your problems, the better I can help. I may know a guy doing software testing at Haas. ;-)

Currently on 2037, been on a few versions but be damned if I remember which ones.

The gearbox fault was just that, and it happened randomly, perhaps 1 out of 30 gear switches, and I believe it was almost always from high to low.

The M42/43 was fixed perhaps 2 ( to me ) releases ago.

As far as service and warranty, hats off to them as so far everything they did was covered, but it really isn't the HFO's fault to have to come out for software issues,
certainly not for ones that should have NEVER escaped Oxnard in the first place!
And to that point, here is another example:

G00 X0 Y0
G83 Z-1. Q.25 R.05 F4. P.1
M97 P9000
N9000
X1. Y0
X2. Y0
X3. Y0
M99

Result: Hole @X0 Y0 gets a .1 sec dwell, all others from the sub get a 9 second dwell each.
Can you guess why?

Last edited:
G00 X0 Y0
M97 P9000
N9000
X1. Y0
X2. Y0
X3. Y0
M99

Result: Hole @X0 Y0 gets a .1 sec dwell, all others from the sub get a 9 second dwell each.
Can you guess why?

Well P9000 = P9.0 DUH!
Now that's funny. I bet you all your drill cycles behave that way.

I've had two bugs with DWO on our UMC. Can't remember one, but the other I was lucky it only broke a carbide drill. Could've been a lot worse. Program had two drill cycles with different Z-depths. On the second cycle, last hole, the software decided it was just fine to rapid down an arbitrary amount below the drill depth. Luckily it wasn't enough to hit the holder since the drill was long enough. Repeatable bug and supposedly it was fixed in a recent version.

We got an update maybe two months ago or so for something else. I guess that was fixed, but now my peck-tapping macro doesn't work. Each depth, it will return to initial plane, say Z1.0 then go another peck depth. Next one it will retract to like Z1.5, then 2.0, etc. Worked fine before.

The old control is pretty solid, although I think there was one or two things that we've found over time. One is the remote jog wheel can lock up the offsets page and can't remember the other. Was pretty minor.

sounds like it getting better ...

They started putting the NEXT GEN on there vertical mills in early 2016 and I was one of the lucky guys that got in on them from the start.

With every upgrade in the software came a new free game of "find the bugs" It was like a $10 hooker with a dirty USB slot... you know you were going to get something you did not want.

I bought my first vf2ssyt last year, it's got the next gen control on it. I've not come across any bugs yet. but what do I know. I can only compare it with my old 1991 Vf1. so far it rocks!.. :)

I should have read this one before I said I had no bugs :/ my next gen controller does that too.. along with my 1991 Vf-1. particularly when trying to do countersinking. the first hole dwells just fine but there after the dwell seems to increase. not sure why. but if I disable the sub programming in my cam post processor it works just fine. seems to be something to do with the subprograming feature. my cam post processer show's it as disabling macro.

Currently on 2037, been on a few versions but be damned if I remember which ones.

The gearbox fault was just that, and it happened randomly, perhaps 1 out of 30 gear switches, and I believe it was almost always from high to low.

The M42/43 was fixed perhaps 2 ( to me ) releases ago.

As far as service and warranty, hats off to them as so far everything they did was covered, but it really isn't the HFO's fault to have to come out for software issues,
certainly not for ones that should have NEVER escaped Oxnard in the first place!
And to that point, here is another example:

G00 X0 Y0
M97 P9000
N9000
X1. Y0
X2. Y0
X3. Y0
M99

Can you guess why?

I should have read this one before I said I had no bugs :/ my next gen controller does that too.. along with my 1991 Vf-1. particularly when trying to do countersinking. the first hole dwells just fine but there after the dwell seems to increase. not sure why. but if I disable the sub programming in my cam post processor it works just fine. seems to be something to do with the subprograming feature. my cam post processer show's it as disabling macro.

Not sure which is the New Control you refer to.
I have two 2017 machines, the St lathe is has an older control then the one on the mini. Both been running a solid 7 months without a hitch.

FYI- I still prefer the older controls...but might be more as I just input programs and run these days where I really became intimate with controls back in the 90's before CAM and I got to USE them...not just load and go.

SIM

What is your control SW version?
Some 7 months ago I've had a couple really stupid bugs in that "current" version, one of which cost me a $200 endmill.

Back