Noobie requesting coolant recommendations for new Mini Mill 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Noobie requesting coolant recommendations for new Mini Mill 2

    After loads of research and saving, my father and I have purchased a brand new Mini Mill 2. No sense bringing any debate on machine capabilities, etc as power was our main requirement. We do not have 3 phase at our shop.


    We cut a wide variety of materials, mostly easy plastics, aluminum, steel, and stainless. Plan to be doing some ti and hard steels in the future. This is our first cnc that uses coolant. I've been researching a bit, but it's overwhelming. I've run a mini mill using Val-cool before, but had zero idea what I was doing on coolant maintenence, etc.

    The machine will be used a minimum of 2-3 days a week, hopefully more. It may need to sit for 4-6 weeks as other projects come along. We have access to some of the best deionized water one could make, and willing to invest in equipment to maintain as needed.


    Can you folks please provide me with some real world use recommendations on semi-synthetic coolants (what I'm thinking we want)?


    Please assume we know nothing, as we most likely do. Recommendations on literature, etc on coolant maintenence and upkeep are appreciated. Thank you!!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1540
    Likes (Received)
    1767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sirAIG View Post
    After loads of research and saving, my father and I have purchased a brand new Mini Mill 2. No sense bringing any debate on machine capabilities, etc as power was our main requirement. We do not have 3 phase at our shop.


    We cut a wide variety of materials, mostly easy plastics, aluminum, steel, and stainless. Plan to be doing some ti and hard steels in the future. This is our first cnc that uses coolant. I've been researching a bit, but it's overwhelming. I've run a mini mill using Val-cool before, but had zero idea what I was doing on coolant maintenence, etc.

    The machine will be used a minimum of 2-3 days a week, hopefully more. It may need to sit for 4-6 weeks as other projects come along. We have access to some of the best deionized water one could make, and willing to invest in equipment to maintain as needed.


    Can you folks please provide me with some real world use recommendations on semi-synthetic coolants (what I'm thinking we want)?


    Please assume we know nothing, as we most likely do. Recommendations on literature, etc on coolant maintenence and upkeep are appreciated. Thank you!!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    The best coolant I ever used was Castrol Hysol MB50. It is expensive though, so be warned - https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/35570290

    As to coolant maintenance, you should mix your initial batch with tap water, then top up using your dei water. I ran that ^ stuff for about 3 years and never needed to change it. No stink or nasty gross floaties and still rinsed off parts very clean leaving no residue. This stuff also survived extended periods of non-use, 1-2 weeks here and there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Blaser Swisslube SYNERGY 735 is becoming very popular due to Titan being their spokesperson. I like that it is water clear.
    I'm about to be looking into coolant myself. Will be checking into that and the Castrol Hysol MB50 that Mike1974 suggests.

    Cheers!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1540
    Likes (Received)
    1767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
    Blaser Swisslube SYNERGY 735 is becoming very popular due to Titan being their spokesperson. I like that it is water clear.
    I'm about to be looking into coolant myself. Will be checking into that and the Castrol Hysol MB50 that Mike1974 suggests.

    Cheers!
    Highly recommend the Castrol, but I neglected to mention it is not good for yellow metals. The rep told me small qty's would be ok, but if there is a decent amount run through the machine he had another brand, don't remember what it was, sorry.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    198
    Likes (Received)
    1222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
    Blaser Swisslube SYNERGY 735 is becoming very popular due to Titan being their spokesperson. I like that it is water clear.
    I'm about to be looking into coolant myself. Will be checking into that and the Castrol Hysol MB50 that Mike1974 suggests.

    Cheers!
    Not a good choice for aluminum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1218
    Likes (Received)
    631

    Default

    Using Hangstefers S787D in a VF-3SS for Ti, 17-4 H900, 4140 pre-hard, and occasionally aluminum and other materials.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    ... not good for yellow metals.

    I'm gonna be machining mostly aluminum and a lot of plastic and perhaps some recurring copper jobs.
    What do you recommend?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1540
    Likes (Received)
    1767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Not a good choice for aluminum.
    Which one are you talking about, the Blaser? I know the Castrol is great for aluminum as it was 95% of our work. Most of our parts got outside work too such as plating/painting/anodize/insert and never had a problem with any of it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1540
    Likes (Received)
    1767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
    I'm gonna be machining mostly aluminum and a lot of plastic and perhaps some recurring copper jobs.
    What do you recommend?
    Couldn't say. We use Blasocut 20(?) at current job. We cut aluminum and brass and a smidge of copper. It works as far as tapping and cutting, but the life is poo IMO. It gets 'filmy' after a couple months. Last time we cleaned the sumps we used a cleaner and the whole works and coolant still got funky in short order...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    100
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Vasco 5000 sold by Blaser Swisslube | Liquid Tool

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    32

    Default

    I had been using a full synthetic cimcool 3100-vlz. Last time I tried to order they were about 3 weeks out and I couldn't find any anywhere. Plus I got tired of the whole distributor song and dance. So I ordered cutting fluid direct's Sterling cool 27 and had it in a couple days. It mixes right in and seems to work fine, plus it's almost half the price. I cut lots of pvc and some aluminum. I use the oil pads from the pig place, and never have had smell with full synthetic, and I have periods of months where I don't run.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    55

    Default

    My Haas rep pointed me to a guy that sells Condat Mecagreen 450hp. My machine use is similar to yours where it get used frequently but then may sit for a few weeks. He said he recommends this coolant to tech colleges where the machines sit for the summer. I initially had foaming issues because I was using distilled water but that pretty much stopped after switching to city water which is harder.
    I'd recommend getting this chip tray, not sure why it's not included with the machine purchase because it should be

    FILTER, SUPPLEMENTAL CHIP TRAY KIT | Maintenance Upgrade | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    poulsbo, wa, usa
    Posts
    763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    315

    Default

    35+ years in the trade and have worked with a lot of cutting fluids and my choice is the 250C .. the stuff have vary little carry-off and keeps the machines super clean. I have one sump that is still running the same coolant for 4 years and all I do is clean the sump out every few months and filter the coolant and put it back in ,,, I run at 7% mix , but the makeup mix is only about 2% most of the time ,,, I keep a bucket of water next to the machines to wash off the coolant coming out on the parts and then use the bucket to make up the lost coolant most mornings ...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1540
    Likes (Received)
    1767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IWUP View Post
    My Haas rep pointed me to a guy that sells Condat Mecagreen 450hp. My machine use is similar to yours where it get used frequently but then may sit for a few weeks. He said he recommends this coolant to tech colleges where the machines sit for the summer. I initially had foaming issues because I was using distilled water but that pretty much stopped after switching to city water which is harder.
    I'd recommend getting this chip tray, not sure why it's not included with the machine purchase because it should be

    FILTER, SUPPLEMENTAL CHIP TRAY KIT | Maintenance Upgrade | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct
    I think they may have forgotten to include it? It's on all of our machines currently, and a few years back when I was involved with 2 new machine purchases both of them had them...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I think they may have forgotten to include it? It's on all of our machines currently, and a few years back when I was involved with 2 new machine purchases both of them had them...
    Interesting, I wonder if they included them on your purchase as a good gesture? The link says "Machines built after March 31, 2017 no longer include the chip tray"
    They really should be included, kind of a dumb area to do a cost take out

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    198
    Likes (Received)
    1222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Which one are you talking about, the Blaser? I know the Castrol is great for aluminum as it was 95% of our work. Most of our parts got outside work too such as plating/painting/anodize/insert and never had a problem with any of it.
    Sorry I should have been more clear, the Blaser 735

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    poulsbo, wa, usa
    Posts
    763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    315

    Default

    Haas made the chip tray kit a extra about a year ago ... about the same time they made the stainless sheet metal on the control alum and changed the door handles to stainless ...

    But they are still putting the stainless on the door opening ,,, The Doosan machines just had paint on the door opening and it looked like crap FAST.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Staten Island NewYork USA
    Posts
    3,735
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1095
    Likes (Received)
    1784

    Default

    I'm a fan of Master Chemicals Trim 906E.
    Premium soluble, doesn't get sticky like semi and synthetics, does clock hoses or attack paint. It plays well with most every material and it lasts, I might be close to 6 years...just have to keep the tramp oils skimmed off and keep the right concentration.

    All the better coolants are pricey and so is this one.

    I did the search for a better coolant for a couple years...I'd get close and think I found the one, then find black stained material, goop clogging up lines.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1540
    Likes (Received)
    1767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IWUP View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if they included them on your purchase as a good gesture? The link says "Machines built after March 31, 2017 no longer include the chip tray"
    They really should be included, kind of a dumb area to do a cost take out
    I guess I am not sure? We have a 2018 model with it, but

    1) Maybe we paid for the "upgrade" ?

    2) Possible included "at no extra charge" because we are an all Haas shop and the local rep knows that?

    I did just go to build a quote and saw it is an option now who the F knows why they would do that??


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •