What's new
What's new

Offsets....I have to be doing something wrong

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
If I probe my work piece and change out my probe, for let’s say an end mill, that was previously probed on the ots, shouldn’t the controller automatically change the g54 z to compensate for differing tool length/‘s?

I’m not sure what’s going on bc I noticed when I tried to cut a part with fusion 360 cam, the haas wasn’t cutting to the correct depth in z.
I thought it was fusion until I cleared the code and from the machine re probed a block and did a tool change and it confirmed that it was still not right.

Anyways last night I had it set in cam to cut to .625 or actually .605 and the actual cut was like not even a 1/2” deep but it shows on the haas screen that it’s going down to -.605 past zero but it’s really not.

Any suggestions? I did get an IO and control board lost communication alarm,9924 but it cleared but I don’t think that’s causing the issue. I would be calling haas but they won’t be back open till Monday I belive.

The controller does not change G54 Z. Instead it uses the value as part of the calculation to determine the spindle z position during machining.

You mentioned you used a tool setter. Are you placing the tool setter on the table? Is the tool setter height 4" ? The G54 z would be used to tell the controller what is the difference between your tool height reference setting and the z datum of your part. If the top of your stock is the datum and that is also 4" above the table, then G54 Z would be 0.

But let's say your stock datum Z is 3.9" from the table top and you leave G54 Z at 0, then your cut depths would be 0.1" too shallow.

Do you use any technique for determining the difference of your stock Z stock relative to the tool setter height?

Are you physically swapping the probe for an endmill, or doing a tool change to another tool# that had an endmill in the pocket?

No sir, the tool changer is doing it. I found the problem and I don’t know how it happened but, I was sitting,thinking about it and just for the hell of it, I compared the probe length from the tool offsets page and a measurement I made with a my tape measure and it was off by about a 1/4”. .2445 to be exact. Would love to know how that happened? I’m kinda worried about that. But anyways, I calibrated the work probe with the tool probe and made a cut and all seams well.

This may go without saying, but did you use a G43 H command in your program to specify the tool height compensation?

Back