What's new
What's new

Old HAAS CNC rotary table stepper motors.

partsproduction

Titanium
I have one of these, the iron is Japanese I think, but the controllers are HAAS.
The thing is I really like it but the stepper is getting weak. I know I can set max speed parameters down and get by but I'd really like to buy a more up to date stepper, as I'm told they have much more torque in smaller motors.
My question is this; do any of you know who sells steppers in models that specifically will accept the HAAS controller inputs?
Obviously I don't know much about steppers so that's why I ask.
Thanks,
parts

haas use to sell a upgrade kit. from stepper to DC servo. was a cable, a added encoder. and a few other odds and ends. I upgraded 2 of mine and never looked back.

I have one of these, the iron is Japanese I think, but the controllers are HAAS.
The thing is I really like it but the stepper is getting weak. I know I can set max speed parameters down and get by but I'd really like to buy a more up to date stepper, as I'm told they have much more torque in smaller motors.
My question is this; do any of you know who sells steppers in models that specifically will accept the HAAS controller inputs?
Obviously I don't know much about steppers so that's why I ask.
Thanks,
parts

Are you looking to replace only the stepper motor itself, or are you looking to replace stepper driver too?
From what I understand, stepper motors are pretty durable but can become weak in extended hold conditions such as a 4th axis.
Can you post pictures of what you have? Any label on the stepper?

PRT-800 HAAS (YUASA stepper) RT, No numbers or anything other than the word "YUASA" on the end of the stepper. We just finished a job so there is lots of cutting oil on the table.
HAAS.jpg
Notice the painted message "Pull first moves of the day", hah hah. If the movements are smaller, like a 20 hole circle, it doesn't "slip", but this job was a 5 hole bolt circle so it's tries to rapid between stations.

That's just the housing. Take the 2 nuts off at the table end of the housing and it will slide apart to expose the stepper motor inside. Be careful to not tear the gaskets.

I suspect you simply need to dismantle the table, clean and lubricate. That is an assumption to be sure and only from the look of it in a picture.
These are very simple mechanically, no lube and dried coolant can lock them up nevermind destroy the worm gear.

- Just saying.

I looked at it, it looks like the data cord enters near the end. That makes me wonder how far off the inner core it could come without tugging at that.

I can't answer that exactly, but I had mine apart several times. There's never enough extra wire in things like that for my comfort, but if I got it apart and back together w/o disaster anyone can. I do believe that once I had the 2 acorn nuts off I had to unscrew the 2 long pieces of all thread they were on as the next step. Try taking the sealtite connector loose and see how far the wires slide out of there. I started working on mine because the sealtite had been damaged and it all filled up with coolant before I got it. There are lots of small fasteners joining the servo to the table, it's not the most robust machine tool accessory I ever had, don't put a lot of stress on that joint when you are clamping it on the table or working on it.
Also - Take it apart and clean out the table and refill w'gear oil. You slack off the worm gear adjustment by rotating the motor enclosure, then the 4 socket heads on the rear of the table retainer come off and it's apart. I put a NPT drain plug in the housing so I could drain it without disassembly - it fills with coolant quickly, the Yuasa table was not built to be used in a CNC and has no seals.

Back