Old HAAS CNC rotary table stepper motors.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old HAAS CNC rotary table stepper motors.

I have one of these, the iron is Japanese I think, but the controllers are HAAS.
    The thing is I really like it but the stepper is getting weak. I know I can set max speed parameters down and get by but I'd really like to buy a more up to date stepper, as I'm told they have much more torque in smaller motors.
    My question is this; do any of you know who sells steppers in models that specifically will accept the HAAS controller inputs?
    Obviously I don't know much about steppers so that's why I ask.
    Thanks,
    parts

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

haas use to sell a upgrade kit. from stepper to DC servo. was a cable, a added encoder. and a few other odds and ends. I upgraded 2 of mine and never looked back.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    I have one of these, the iron is Japanese I think, but the controllers are HAAS.
    The thing is I really like it but the stepper is getting weak. I know I can set max speed parameters down and get by but I'd really like to buy a more up to date stepper, as I'm told they have much more torque in smaller motors.
    My question is this; do any of you know who sells steppers in models that specifically will accept the HAAS controller inputs?
    Obviously I don't know much about steppers so that's why I ask.
    Thanks,
    parts
    Are you looking to replace only the stepper motor itself, or are you looking to replace stepper driver too?
    From what I understand, stepper motors are pretty durable but can become weak in extended hold conditions such as a 4th axis.
    Can you post pictures of what you have? Any label on the stepper?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to post photos today.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PRT-800 HAAS (YUASA stepper) RT, No numbers or anything other than the word "YUASA" on the end of the stepper. We just finished a job so there is lots of cutting oil on the table.
    haas.jpg
    Notice the painted message "Pull first moves of the day", hah hah. If the movements are smaller, like a 20 hole circle, it doesn't "slip", but this job was a 5 hole bolt circle so it's tries to rapid between stations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's just the housing. Take the 2 nuts off at the table end of the housing and it will slide apart to expose the stepper motor inside. Be careful to not tear the gaskets.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at it, it looks like the data cord enters near the end. That makes me wonder how far off the inner core it could come without tugging at that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suspect you simply need to dismantle the table, clean and lubricate. That is an assumption to be sure and only from the look of it in a picture.
    These are very simple mechanically, no lube and dried coolant can lock them up nevermind destroy the worm gear.

- Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    I looked at it, it looks like the data cord enters near the end. That makes me wonder how far off the inner core it could come without tugging at that.

I can't answer that exactly, but I had mine apart several times. There's never enough extra wire in things like that for my comfort, but if I got it apart and back together w/o disaster anyone can. I do believe that once I had the 2 acorn nuts off I had to unscrew the 2 long pieces of all thread they were on as the next step. Try taking the sealtite connector loose and see how far the wires slide out of there. I started working on mine because the sealtite had been damaged and it all filled up with coolant before I got it. There are lots of small fasteners joining the servo to the table, it's not the most robust machine tool accessory I ever had, don't put a lot of stress on that joint when you are clamping it on the table or working on it.
    Also - Take it apart and clean out the table and refill w'gear oil. You slack off the worm gear adjustment by rotating the motor enclosure, then the 4 socket heads on the rear of the table retainer come off and it's apart. I put a NPT drain plug in the housing so I could drain it without disassembly - it fills with coolant quickly, the Yuasa table was not built to be used in a CNC and has no seals.

10. Likes BGL liked this post