What's new
What's new

One more VF4 question... ATC indexing super slow

cc22288

Aluminum
apologies if this is repeated, I tried to search before posting.

So, like many, I disable the door lock so that the machine will operate with the door open. It has a 25 tool side mount carousel and a tool changer arm. The carousel is indexing VERY VERY slowly and I don't know why. It is also doing tool changes VERY slowly. The latter issue resolves itself fine with the door closed. The former, not so much.

With the door closed, it will still index very slow. like. 3 whole seconds per pocket. At first I thought tools might be marked heavy, which they ALL were, so i cleared those out but it still indexes very slow. Machine was recently serviced so I am guessing that a parameter or setting was changed and the tech forgot to change it back?

thoughts?

thanks

That time per pocket sounds about correct. It uses a Geneva drive that requires a full revolution of a smaller motor per pocket.

You should be able to pre-stage tools for your next operation to save time.

Ex:

These lines of code are pulling up T38 and pre-staging T37 for the next operation.

N1330 T38 M6
N1340 G0 G90 G54 X-6.1906 Y-6.1434 S550 M3
N1350 G43 H38 Z3. T37

OK, as someone who successfully disabled the interlocks on all of my machines, not just Haas but others to make them usable ...
What did you do to yours?
Properly modified, the machine should NOT KNOW ANYTHING!!! about your door?
You're saying that with the door closed the actual tool swap is fast, then you have fucked up something in your bypass!

You did not say what year your machine it, but I ran into the same issue on one of mine a few years ago. I pulled off the motor and took it apart. Commutator was dirty and the brushes were contaminated. I did a skim cut on the commutator with my lathe and cleaned the brushes and it more than doubled the speed of tool changes.

Just a thought.

Back