What's new
What's new

Orange vise size for VF4SS

Josh@OTTP

Plastic
I'm looking at getting four of the dual station vises. Travels are 50"x20". I'm leaning towards the 22" model but may go for 26". What size is everyone using?

hope your 7 foot tall with long arms ,,, I hang kurt 6" over the side of the table just so I can reach them ,, with double vises your going to get tired of the long reach really quick ,,, just something to think about ,, make some paper copys and see how they fit ,, I did that for my DM2 to see how it would work out ,,

Yep, gonna be a stretch loading the rear jaw.
Got a tape-measure? LOL
Watch the clearance with the Z way-cover guides. You cant hang very far off the back of the table.
I have 17.5"s in a VF3 (same Y as your 4), and don't think I could fit 22"s.
The 22" version would actually put the center jaw closer to you than a shorter vise though. If you could wedge them in there.

EDIT: Just went and looked. There is plenty of room to fit 22's.
But, they will be hanging at least 4" off the front of the table. And, the spindle will not reach any of that 4" (no biggie really).

EDIT for pics:

1st pic is Z-way cover guide clearance (Y max travel)
2nd pic is table to door clearance (Y home)
3rd pic is spindle to Y max travel relationship.

IMG_1605.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg

Vise to door was my initial concern. But, there is a mile there.

holy crap didn't know they upped the ante on size offerings on vises can't imagine the shear size of a 26" vice first off and 2nd how dam heavy the bastard would be off the top of my head sounds like something more to the liking of a big travel 50 taper hogging machine. with that said really depends on what size parts and applications you have lined up for the mill. most guys in the past would throw 20" vices on these machines anything larger than that til now was slim pickings on the market. learn something new every day.

holy crap didn't know they upped the ante on size offerings on vises can't imagine the shear size of a 26" vice first off and 2nd how dam heavy the bastard would be off the top of my head sounds like something more to the liking of a big travel 50 taper hogging machine. with that said really depends on what size parts and applications you have lined up for the mill. most guys in the past would throw 20" vices on these machines anything larger than that til now was slim pickings on the market. learn something new every day.

You can brake the orange vises down in to base, rod assembly, front and rear/middle jaw. Really cuts down on the weight. I bet the base doesn't weight more than a normal 6" kurt/GMT vise you would find on a bridgeport.

Back