What's new
What's new

Phase Perfect and Air Dryer mount location and another damn Hurricane

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
I got a call from the riggers yesterday and machine will be delivered Monday or Tuesday.
In the mean time Im trying to figure out where the best locations would be to mount my homemade twin tower desiccant air dryer and the phase perfect and I would like to get y’all’s experienced suggestions.

In the picture you will see the dryer and where I plan on hanging it and the PP will be going to the left near the column right above the aluminum square tubing that is standing up beneath the girt. The mill will be centered between them two columns. Do these locations look good or would you do it another way?

The PP, is it okay for to be located with about 30’ of wiring in between the panel and it or should it be mounted next to the main power panel?

Does it really matter where it’s located as long as the wire size i sufficiently sized? I’m going to run 1/0 from to panel to converter and even thought about 1/0 or at the smallest #2 from the converter to the 3 phase breaker panel or fused disconnect and same to mill. Does that sound good? I’ve read too many stories of voltage drops and wire size being the majority of the culprits. I’d rather go overkill and be good vs not enough and end up costing more.

PS F:;k these hurricanes! 94F572AB-7C0E-474F-9846-D158B755B0C3.jpg

If you use proper wire size for the runs and proper wire routing (like, don't put different phases in different conduits), you are pretty much free to put the PP whereever you want. NEC Handbook (and probably a whole bunch of web resources) can tell you how much voltage drop to expect on a given length of a given wire size, so you can upsize sensibly without unnecessarily going overboard.

I like the way you think.

Use copper wire, go up at least one size maybe two if the connections will take the larger. Mount close to the MAIN panel, this will reduce the amount of wire you will use and the main service is a low impedance source so it will really help reduce electrical noise. Be sure you are well grounded and ALL grounds tie back to the MAIN panel ground buss without tap or splice.

I bought a new electric start generator and used it four days for SALLY. My old one went two weeks steady for IVAN and I run it empty of gas and never looked at it again (16 years). I won't buy @&%*# ethanol gas for anything. Anyway, neighbor couldn't start his generator (and he uses the ethanol crap)so I let him use my old one, put my gas in the tank, pulled the cord and it fired, second pull and it ran beautiful. Go figure.

Well I figured I would update this. I maxed out the wire size, copper 1/0 from 100amp breaker to phase perfect.

I ended up mounting it about 20’ away from main panel so it could be inside what will be a closed off, air conditioned room once the machine is placed, which is the day, for sure, says the nice lady at All Pro in Houston.

My fusible disconnect will be here today and Ima run 1/0 to it as well and to the mill also if it fits.

What a day it was when I went to get the conduit and wire to power the phase perfect Friday. 70 mph winds don’t sound to bad until you are in an open parking lot. The truck door took me for a ride when I opened it and ima big boy and the cart was wanting to take off when I would try load something in the truck that took 2 hands. I bet people were laughing their ass off, know I would’ve been. I just wish there was a video of it I could watch lol.

Back