What's new
What's new

Phase Perfect and the Haas 30 hp spindle

astropaulo

Aluminum
I've seen a few threads where people had some issues with the 30 hp spindle with the phase perfect 20 hp. Who here has had success with their set-up? Sounds like the classic control works better because you can change the motor acceleration rates. Did this make a huge difference?

Try adding a 20 or 30hp 5% line reactor after the phase perfect, then add 100uf x3 caps after the line reactor. Delta connected.

The phase perfect can supposidly direct online start a motor equal to its rating (which implies peak current on thr order of 7 times nominal) but my guess is its inductors saturate and the output would look really nasty. Such a senario would explain some of the weird stuff a few people report.

I'm running a 20hp system and no problems other than my LED lights seem to flicker a bit. Not sure if it's a problem on the Haas side or the phase converter. I did however have some issues with shutdowns from low voltage when spindle would ramp at the same time as compressor would fire up. Changed the voltage wiring to be a bit higher and no problems since. This was a garage shop and the limit is the power companies transformer. Don't quote me on this but an salesmen told me they were running 15hp motors in the ss machines. The Haas may produce 30hp peak but it's not a 30hp motor. The phase perfect can handle very high peak currents for short periods to handle ramping. With that said I don't run my spindle to even close to 100 percent load either.

Back