What's new
What's new

Pneumatic tailstock (mill)

Mike1974

Diamond
Just wanted to put a shout out there about the pneumatic tailstock we recently purchased. If mods want to move to general for more traffic, fine with me, but thought the Haas sub was a good starting place.

So some random thoughts ---

1) list on the pneumatic is about $1600
2) list on manual is about $1300... (no brainer right??)
3) $500'ish for live center

saving 3 hours per part compared to old ops... PRICELESS! :D :cloud9:

Ok so some years ago we needed (different job/employment) a tailstock for some of our work, owner damn near cries when he hears price of a Haas tailstock... :toetap:
We go the "cheap" (:rolleyes5:) route and buy some manual tailstock designed for a bridgeport or whatnot... make a subplate because obviously center height not correct, have to dial in and out for every part, yada yada.... I am pretty sure that cheap tailstock cost us ALOT more in the long run...

So to wrap up, so far this thing is tits! :D

Download a solid model from Haas website, import into my cam, verify and all -- and good parts are made. :soapbox: :Ithankyou:

And you can know how much pressure you are applying to the face of your 4th. My 150mm Tsudakoma specs 360 lbs max. With a manual tailstock I am sure I would be overdoing it at times.

What do you think of the overall quality and rigidity of the haas tailstock?

Bore slop?
Good lock?
Solid or flimsy build?

I'm considering one for my 160mm 4th axis and another project with a twist...
I have a... odd lathe project in where I need a short tail stock to bolt to a lathe of mine to extend its work envelope a few more inches.
Think it would do some lathe support/cutting?
(Maybe 60lb supported weight, 0.06"doc 0.016fpr in 17-4 1150hr stainless)

. Odd I know, but it would be nice to buy just one tailstock to suit both needs

@Stirlig.

So far quality is great. It comes with all the pneumatic stuff plumbed and ready to go, including adjustable pressure valve (gosh I don't think that is the right term??) and quick connect. We ran an air line to the left back side of machine and mounted a quick connect onto the inside sheet metal, then ran a small self coiling (?) hose between the tailstock and that. Came out to a perfect setup (for us) with the line having just the right 'tension' so it is not flopping around anywhere....

Can't say how well the lock function works as once you engage the valve air pressure keeps pushing the quill forward...

Not sure what you mean with "bore slop"? We bought a Royal brand small live center (rated something like 5k rpm and 600(?) lbs) and the fit is nice. It is an MT3 taper FWIW.

@Davidscott.

The manual for it has a conversion chart for psi = pressure/force. Not sure without looking, but we have our unit set at 90psi, with max (stated) rating of 100psi.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

By bore slop I mean is there and play in the tailstock housing to quill.

I would be looking for the standard version, as short length is critical for my project. Maybe I'l have to look into the air version though.

Would you feel it would be a sturdy enough tailstock for light to light/medium lathe duty?

I'm looking to remove a tailstock from my current late to place a smaller one(with adaptor plate) that will allow me to slip in a shaft a few inches longer.
It's a job that I would get orders for several times a year, but a different lathe is not practical due to my shop size constraints.
The haas one makes sense as I would also like a tail stick for my 4th axis too.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

By bore slop I mean is there and play in the tailstock housing to quill. No? Not sure why there would be on a new unit, but...

I would be looking for the standard version, as short length is critical for my project. Maybe I'l have to look into the air version though. Pneumatic was only $300 more, well worth it IMO. Also, can download a solid model from the Haas website so you could get accurate measurements between models.

Would you feel it would be a sturdy enough tailstock for light to light/medium lathe duty? Sure! I'm taking cuts with a 3/4" endmill in aluminum. Not hauling ass, but around 120ipm....

I'm looking to remove a tailstock from my current late to place a smaller one(with adaptor plate) that will allow me to slip in a shaft a few inches longer.
It's a job that I would get orders for several times a year, but a different lathe is not practical due to my shop size constraints.
The haas one makes sense as I would also like a tail stick for my 4th axis too.

See above responses

Just a guess, but since the riser is visible in the picture, I would guess it is the same as the 6" model (at least left to right X axis..) with a 3" riser on it. Did not find anything on a search of a 7" tailstock (which there is a rotary with 7" center) so guessing the 5" and 6" models are all they offer as specific models? Just a wag

I downloaded the 6" from Haas, and got the 9" model from my dealer. The upper portion seems accurate, but the lower body of the casting is very different in both models from the actual item. Probably good enough for verification.

Back