What's new
What's new

Probe overshoots target - need help

metal-ica

Cast Iron
Trying to setup probing on my 2012 DT1.

Machine came with the probing option but never really used it and want to get it working. I think I may have had similar frustrations years ago and just gave up on it.

I re-calibrated the table and spindle probe per all the instructions. Everything was going as planned until it's time to pick up the work datum.

For demonstration I just threw in a 1-2-3 block trying to pick up the top left corner.

Put in the setting 4 to touch off at X1.5 and Y-1.0.

The probe actually moves to around x1.75 and y-1.25.

I verified the x-y offset values are correct.

Problem is, the geometry of my actual part needs to avoid other features and actually touch off on the correct spot.

Does anyone know why it's overshooting my target by .25"

Thanks for the help.

Dropbox - IMG_2265.JPG - Simplify your life

Dropbox - IMG_2266.JPG - Simplify your life

Dropbox - IMG_2267.JPG - Simplify your life

My guess is it looks to me like the small probe tip is causing the issue. In the Haas wips program 9995 it looks like the first move to the corner moves 3x the probe radius #556, but when moving to touch-off position it simply adds 10mm. Close enough with a normal probe of 6mm, it would be off 1mm.

With the small probe tip, of maybe 2mm dia? It would move 1*3 to the corner, but then 10mm+target distance to touch-off position. There's your approx .25" difference, or 7mm.

If you need to be closer to the actual position to measure the part, either just subtract 1/4" and keep using that cycle, or program the probe using the Renishaw cycles directly.

I'd be worth your time to look through the Renishaw programming manual. It is very powerful and they have plenty of examples you can follow.

Thanks for the response.

I think you're right....having a smaller probe is probably causing the issue.

My actual part is .160 thick so I can't lie to the control using the '#4 corner routine' because if I use a negative value it still moves in the same direction. ie. if instead of entering .080 I input -.170 it moves in the - direction .170+.250

I'm heading to the shop now to play with it. Unfortunately I don't have time to dig through the renishaw manual because I need to get parts done (story of my life)

Isn't there a parameter somewhere that I can tell the machine I have a 2mm probe to solve this?

Isn't there a parameter somewhere that I can tell the machine I have a 2mm probe to solve this?

You do, it is set in #556 and #557

Unfortunately Haas WIPS program 9995 is hard-coded with that 10mm movement for that probe routine.

If you're just picking up offsets to do the initial part setup, either:

use single surface instead and do X & Y separately. It doesn't take much longer. Then you don't have to worry about that 1/4" problem.
or edit program 9995 to 3mm instead of 10. although I'm sure it comes up in more than one place/probe routine.

Or if you want to probe every part, write your own program to use the Renishaw subprograms instead. Don't bother with WIPS.

Download manual here https://staging-diy.haascnc.com/sit...ramming_Manual_H_2000_6222_0A_B.PDF?0=%3F1532

Plenty of examples in there to get you started.

Back