What's new
What's new

Probe question

jm0502

Plastic
so before we got the probe I always set tools off the table and my G54 Z is always the height of where im working off for the part zero. like a kurt 6" vise, G54 Z +2.875. with the probe and tool setter, it works almost opposite of that, tools are from gauge line to tip, and probing a surface for Z is now from home to top of part, in reference kurt vise now checks G54 Z-21.0131

Is it possible to change the probe to measure the table as Z 0.0? This will probable mess up the tool setter but unfortunately given table size I will need to pull the tool setter often.

It seems you just want to go back to way you did it before. If so, just take the probe and presetter and set them aside. They won't speed up your setup or make anything easier.

After your toolsetter and probe are calibrated, just probe your G54 location. What does it matter to you if the number is relative to the table or relative to the toolsetter? Your programs will run the same.

so before we got the probe I always set tools off the table and my G54 Z is always the height of where im working off for the part zero. like a kurt 6" vise, G54 Z +2.875. with the probe and tool setter, it works almost opposite of that, tools are from gauge line to tip, and probing a surface for Z is now from home to top of part, in reference kurt vise now checks G54 Z-21.0131

Is it possible to change the probe to measure the table as Z 0.0? This will probable mess up the tool setter but unfortunately given table size I will need to pull the tool setter often.

Sure, just probe the top of the table for your G54..? Sorry if that is too obvious but I don't really understand...

If you are going to need to pull the setter 'often', might as well not use it. To calibrate them they should be indicated in and that would be more trouble than it's worth IMO (to do it alot I mean).

It seems you just want to go back to way you did it before. If so, just take the probe and presetter and set them aside. They won't speed up your setup or make anything easier.

Kinda, I need to use the whole table often. and I need to map out bolt patterns, bores and depths of surfaces. we reverse engineer parts often.

I know the tool setter and probe are tied together and are very useful, Just more often than not it wont work how i need. If its not something I can do fine, I'll work around it. just thought I'd ask.

On the Mazak Variaxis I can just put in a coordinate shift into the controller to get the probe to read actual numbers relative to G54, Not a option on haas.

There is a way to do this, but I've never cared enough to remember how. Member Probe can certainly tell you definitively, one way or the other. You might try PMing him with a link to this thread.

Kinda, I need to use the whole table often. and I need to map out bolt patterns, bores and depths of surfaces. we reverse engineer parts often.

I know the tool setter and probe are tied together and are very useful, Just more often than not it wont work how i need. If its not something I can do fine, I'll work around it. just thought I'd ask.

On the Mazak Variaxis I can just put in a coordinate shift into the controller to get the probe to read actual numbers relative to G54, Not a option on haas.

Don't need to shift anything on the Haas to do that. You want to reverse engineer some parts? Say measure the location of a bore or edge relative to your G54? You just want to use the Renishaw cycles for this, not anything in WIPS. Well you could just set a new offset and figure the difference, but that's more work.

Move the probe into the hole you want to measure, then do something like this:

G54
G43H25 (my probe is set as tool 25)
G65 P9832
G65 P9814 D1.0 (for 1" diameter)
G65 P9833
M30

The XY location of the bore will be in variables #185 & #186, diameter in #188. Look through this manual for more info: https://diy.haascnc.com/sites/defau...ishaw_Programming_Manual_H_2000_6222_0A_B.PDF

There is a way to do this, but I've never cared enough to remember how. Member Probe can certainly tell you definitively, one way or the other. You might try PMing him with a link to this thread.

according to Renishaw there is a way to do this. There are 3 people in Michigan set up this way. one of the local techs knows how to change it. I will have him out here soon to do it.

Back