What's new
What's new

Probe - tool length out of range

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
I tried to probe the first ever tool in my mill and I got “Tool length out of range” and I can’t find anything in the manual or online of what is causing this. I set my approximate tool length to 4.625, well under the max tool length of machine. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Also when I first powered it up after the tech finished and left, and the last operation was on the screen and the first line said “Complete probe calibration”. I’m guessing this right and it’s just the last thing he did or is it saying you need to complete the calibration?

Also, I knew I was going to lose table with the setter and the 4th but didn’t realize I was going to lose as much. The tool probe is inset enough to max out tool diameter by more than 2x around a 12 or 14” diameter tool and that’s giving it plenty of room to clear the setter when measuring diameter. That is not an exaggeration. My probe is mounted to the left side of table bc of 4th. Also the hrc210 is installed about 4” from the edge of the tables. Once you add on for the chuck and mounting plate that a lot of used up table. He said he was giving room so the rotary didn’t hit the window and I took his word for it but after he left I jogged over and there is plenty of room.

So I think I could get at least 10 more inches of tables by moving those two option further out. Is there something I’m not seeing that is keeping me from doing that?

Here’s a couple picture.

874BFB7C-BA9E-40D4-A4B7-8C1012462EA1.jpgED3D1C13-D955-4A73-83E0-E795421CF232.jpg

Definitely move the rotary so the right side is flush with edge of table. Make sure your cables are good, no too tight or loose...

If you don't measure diameters with your tool setter, move it as far left as you can to get a touch off on the center of the disc, maybe +.25 or so to be safe....

We had the tech move the probe eye to the left side of the cabinet, which allowed us to flip the tool setter around and save some room on the table.

When setting the approximate tool length, your value should be the approximate length from the tip of the tool to the spindle nose. If it's too short, it will alarm out.

Well I did find a few things. I never noticed led color of the omi in the past but mine are all red so it’s not receiving a signal. So I guess I’ll troubleshoot when I get off work or find out what I’m doing wrong.

Definitely move the rotary so the right side is flush with edge of table. Make sure your cables are good, no too tight or loose...

If you don't measure diameters with your tool setter, move it as far left as you can to get a touch off on the center of the disc, maybe +.25 or so to be safe....

I will look over that when I get off. Tool diameters when working with camm are in camm amd that’s the plan so you make a good point.

We had the tech move the probe eye to the left side of the cabinet, which allowed us to flip the tool setter around and save some room on the table.

When setting the approximate tool length, your value should be the approximate length from the tip of the tool to the spindle nose. If it's too short, it will alarm out.

I didn’t know you could request that so I just figured they set it up the way haas wants it. I asked him but he said he he didn’t want the rotary hitting the glass and obviously other one of checked that and said he moved the probe over so far in for large diameter tools which made sense until I actually looked how far it was moved in.

But that leads me to question why they wouldnt be trained to install everything in the best possible locations to maximize the area usable table?

The tech seemed to be a good dude and he worked his add off so I’m not displeased with him at all. I just wish hass would put more thinking into the training of these guys. Then again maybe they do and I’m not talking bad about them either, I’m just trying to get this thing working.

I didn’t know you could request that so I just figured they set it up the way haas wants it. I asked him but he said he he didn’t want the rotary hitting the glass and obviously other one of checked that and said he moved the probe over so far in for large diameter tools which made sense until I actually looked how far it was moved in.

But that leads me to question why they wouldnt be trained to install everything in the best possible locations to maximize the area usable table?

The tech seemed to be a good dude and he worked his add off so I’m not displeased with him at all. I just wish hass would put more thinking into the training of these guys. Then again maybe they do and I’m not talking bad about them either, I’m just trying to get this thing working.

Ya, I've noticed most of the techs are less than stellar. Had one tell me he didn't know how to move the probe to a different tool #. Also when I told him I had worked around Haas on and off for 15 years, he said "oh well I'll shut up then you probably no more than me.." ? :confused: Dunno, maybe he was being a smart ass, I don't think I cam off as cocky, but maybe he read it that way?

Not that is necessarily a bad thing but I would make a guess -

1) They are probably trained to get in and out and maximize their shop time/efficiency
2) They don't know what you do, or what you are cutting. They probably have a rule of thumb, like 5" from edge of table.

I think it's just a lack of knowledge. I know Haas had been having issues keeping techs on(at least in our area). Last time we had them here, they were bringing techs from other areas in. They had, I think it was 5 techs leave within a couple weeks of each other.

If you bump it, it's not a big deal. If you hold it for so many seconds, it changes some settings. I can't remember what though.

You might consider moving your rotary forward on the table so the rotary axis is about in the center (y-axis) of the table. Then, you could put your tool-setter just behind the rotary on the far right of the table. We do that, but to make it work we made a riser to get the tool setter to sufficient height relative to the rotary.

For us that was a considerably more efficient use of table space.

i will be buying new batteries today. if the ones i remove are still good at least ill have some when others die. i believe it has something to do with the programming though bc i loaded the spindle probe and ran the test and on the omi the left blue led lights up and probe starts flashing and when i push on stylus i get the beeps but when i test tool probe and press cycle start the exact same blue led lights up. from my understanding their are two leds on each side and one will light up blue for the spindle probe and the one directly across from it should light up blue when the tool probe is activated. that does not happen. the same led lights for both ops except with the SP the 3 bottom lights turn green but remain red when tool probe test is done. im bout to call haas and talk to them. thanks guys

Why's that? I've changed mine several times, but I don't know if I touched the stylus or not.

If you just touched it, no harm....

If you bump it, it's not a big deal. If you hold it for so many seconds, it changes some settings. I can't remember what though.

Actually, it starts you down the different functions and how they work. And until you do it a few times, it's a royal PITA to set the settings. As far as I know, the only way to change settings is to remove batteries and hold stylus while it powers up...

We bought some used and I had to change it from timed off to signal off. What an exercise! :bawling:

You might consider moving your rotary forward on the table so the rotary axis is about in the center (y-axis) of the table. Then, you could put your tool-setter just behind the rotary on the far right of the table. We do that, but to make it work we made a riser to get the tool setter to sufficient height relative to the rotary.

For us that was a considerably more efficient use of table space.

Like so:

IMG_4371.jpg

Okay update. The tool probe is working form what the tech said and my dad said he watched him do it. I went into mid to setup the tool as I’m almost positive you can do it either in mdi or vps but he said I need to go into vps. I went to try it out and mill would not power up. The Orange led is lit and there is a blown fuse so I found the fuses locally in Beaumont and going to get them now.

I didn’t want to start another thread so I’ll ask this here.

When I got the mill the taps were set on the 245 260 volts and my best guess is the tech looked at the phase perfect display and seen the voltage bouncing around 242 244 and lowered the taps. Well the display shows 242 to 244 but if I measure across them I get 248 to 252 so I think I need to move the taps up higher. It shouldn’t hurt anything right, if the voltage is a little lower vs too high?

The last 3 times I’ve powered on it sounded a little funny with a bommmmm sound. Not loud just a low buzzing noise that I didn’t notice before. Then I went to power it up and nothing. It’s going to be crappy my voltage is right at the max and minimum between two taps.

That’s exactly what I need to do. I can’t remember who it was on here but he said that he had made a sub or fixture plate that over hung the right side of his table, giving enough space for cables. I thought about doing that and that but just not sure yet?
If I did I would get 8 to 10 inches of usable table. I also thought about moving the 4th forward in the to the next t slot and that would leave room to mount the table/tool probe, which really open up the table up.

Does that sound like something that is plausible?

That’s exactly what I need to do. I can’t remember who it was on here but he said that he had made a sub or fixture plate that over hung the right side of his table, giving enough space for cables. I thought about doing that and that but just not sure yet?
If I did I would get 8 to 10 inches of usable table. I also thought about moving the 4th forward in the to the next t slot and that would leave room to mount the table/tool probe, which really open up the table up.

Yeah you can do exactly that. Several people have posted images before. One I made a while ago looked Like this

Then mount your tool setter on that sub plate. Don't worry about mounting in a t-slot. That way you can get your rotary closer to Y-center of travel.

Yes to moving forward, if it clears the doors.

Not sure what you mean about the cables? They should be tied/wired up so there is just enough slack at far travels, but not so much it hits the enclosure floor.

Back