What's new
What's new

Probing Battery Life Tip

MachEng

Aluminum
I have discovered that by applying a thin film of synthetic grease on the Wireless probe and tool pre-setter batteries it dramatically extends the battery life. Our shop does primarily prototype and small quantity lots with multiple set-ups per day. We use our probes a lot as well as setting lots of tools. We have two machines and I was applying the grease to my batteries and the other machinist wasn't on his machine I was getting 4 -5 times the battery life he was. I convinced him to try it and battery life improved on his machine as well. The last set I replaced in the wireless probe was 1 year old before they failed.
We are using Superlube.
I passed this info on to the Haas Applications Engineer at our HFO. Hopefully Haas will evaluate.

There are also 2 different batteries in that size. One is a long life, one is a standard life. Grease may stop the contact from corroding. Interesting

interesting,
I have been using saft brand 1/2aa batteries for a long time (omp40-2) and generally they last 11 to 12 months with daily use.
these batteries also have a date of manufacture on them which is key to a good service life.
another thing to consider is the orientation of the spindle probe in the side mount toolchanger, I set it up so the battery cover is facing outwards to avoid coolant ingress from dripping tools above.
regards
Jorg

Battery Life

There are also 2 different batteries in that size. One is a long life, one is a standard life. Grease may stop the contact from corroding. Interesting

I have been getting the same ones from McMaster for 10 years. They have always been the same ones.
I generally had at least 3 sets in stocks since Murphy's law tells you that if you change one set the other machine or device will be right behind.

Back