What's new
What's new

Probing multiple holes for clocking the C-Axis

Fully Defined

Aluminum
I am personally fairly new to Haas. I last encountered one at machine tech school in 2015.

At my new job we have a UMC-750, and do a lot of SS extrusion dies for food. Despite having a Renishaw probe, the guys have been manually setting up OP2 with gage pins, a parallel and a DTI, after decking down the clamping material from OP1 and revealing the through-holes.

I have to imagine that there must be a way to probe a pair of holes from the flange and get either a G68 rotation or a C-axis G54 coordinate value. My instinct is to program this into the cycle, but I'm not against using macros in the menus.

With a UMC-750, how would you do this? For reference, it's usually a 150-200mm-ish x 25mm-ish disc of 316, saw cut, on a 5th Axis brand self-centering vise or a three-jaw on a pallet. Sometimes it's in a Kurt DX-6 (with soft jaws) on a pallet, but I'm not in love with that setup for a bunch of reasons.

I'd also like to be able to probe the top of the jaws to check that they all have the same Z offset, before I even start OP1. Is there a way to rotate B and C to level out automatically, using just a probing routine?

Eventually you'll want to download this manual and write cycles with inspection plus, but you can still set C-offsets fairly easily using the regular WIPS cycles.

Use inverse tangent to find the angle. Best if the bores are aligned along the X-direction. Along the Y is doable, but you might need to write additional code to determine which way the angle needs adjustment, and if they are perfectly straight you could run into dividing by 0.

The bores don't need to be along X exactly. If you know the angle they are supposed to be, you can just add the difference to that angle. Assuming the angle is 0, we're just adding 0 to our result in the below example.

So, set the C-offset to the inverse tangent of the difference in Y, divided by the difference in X between the two locations.

Probe each hole with the WIPS template, like G65 P9995 W54. A10. D1. E0 H0
(assuming 1st hole is G54, 2nd G55)

#5226= ATAN[[#5242-#5222]/[#5241-#5221]]
(G54 C-offset = inverse tangent of [G55Y-G54Y]/[G55X-G54X])

Use that if you're starting from C-home. (G53 C0)

If you're starting from G54 C0, you'll want to add the difference each time to the current C:
#5226= #5226+ATAN[[#5242-#5222]/[#5241-#5221]]

Also, be aware that unless your (round?) part is exactly on center of C, you'll have to adjust and re-probe your XY position after you rotate C-axis straight. (well it could be done without, but it would be more code)

With the inspection+ macros, you don't have to set workoffsets for each position. You can store the locations in other variables and it will run faster as you can leave the probe on the whole time, where WIPS it will go on and off each hole.

Setting a B-angle can be done, but you'll have to add the offset to each rotation in your program manually. You're not going to able to run a regular program with DWO or TCPC with B-offsets. You'd have to set the B-offset to a variable and call it when rotating to a new angle..

G0 G90 G54 B[90.+#100] C0
G254
etc.

Back