What's new
What's new

problems with Renishaw ots stylus falling over

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
This is the 3rd time in as many weeks that I have went to probe a tool and the stylus has swung down, hanging 180 degrees from where it was, give or take a degree.

When the tech installed the machine and prove he did not install the retaining strap between the stylus and break away so I’m wondering if the stylus needs that retaining strap kinda like a lock washer. Don’t laugh, I know its more like a smooth washer but just saying.

It’s the only reason I can think of why I’m having the issues I’m having with it not wanting to stay put? this must be where my inaccuracies have been coming from and my newer tools. Nice to find out but sucks to have to scrap a part. Keep be doing much worse.

So anyone else with this problem that has a solution besides loctite. Because I’m getting close to getting the blue stuff out?

My tool setter used to get knocked out of whack just like you mention. It was from heavy, hard flying chips hitting it. Especially when running insert drills with high pressure coolant. My fix was to make a cover for it.

I've had them do that a time or two. Both the stylus tiled a few visible degrees, or completely loose and swing down 180° as you describe.

Sometimes from chips whacking them. Sometimes just from touching off many rotating tools over time, those screws that hold the stylus can work themselves loose and the stylus can move.

Just snug em up a bit. I wouldn't loc-tite them myself. Should a stem break and you need to replace it, don't want to be fighting loctite with little set screws.

If its chips hitting it, build yourself a cover. That stem will break off in short order when a long stringy chip from a drill gets 'hold of it. Buy yourself an extra to have on hand. Sucks waiting a day or two for a replacement and touching off tools manually... https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/59330423?rItem=59330423

I'm assuming your talking about #1
install it like the picture and bend it like #7. make sure #6 didnt fall out

ots.jpg

Back