Qualichem 251c staining way covers? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two things to try since we're all hanging fire right now:

1) Go around your machines with a good DVM, and check a clean/dry/bare structural metal part with one probe, and a known good ground with the other, with the meter set to low voltage, both DC and AC.

Depending on sample rate and smoothing of the meter it may not tell you much, but if you get consistent voltage readings from all the machines that tells you one thing, an outlier tells you something else. You can do the same using the low current setting.

Would still prefer to have input on this from an EE, but what the heck, we've got time on our hands, right?

2) If you decide to make a fresh batch of coolant using the same base as your friends, collect some empty water vessels and go pay a visit, come back with enough for mixing and some make up. Clean the covers, do some work, over a period of time look for better, same, or worse staining.

3) If all your material has come from one vendor so far, try cleaning the covers and using a different mill's stock for a while. Maybe vendor "A" has some weird residual in the metal that's more reactive than it should be.

4) It's the frigging mice peeing in your coolant that's causing staining, get a shop cat.

5) If you already have a shop cat; it's the culprit, get a shop dog. Repeat until you have a shop elephant...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post

4) It's the frigging mice peeing in your coolant that's causing staining, get a shop cat.

5) If you already have a shop cat; it's the culprit, get a shop dog. Repeat until you have a shop elephant...

My machine had dark, dark stains on the way covers and the paint. Dark like black coffee.
    I could buff them, sand them or scotchbrite disc them off, but they would not clean off or even smear using any cleaner or chemical that I tried.
    Don't know how I overlooked asking the previous owner if he by chance had a shop elephant. That may have answered a lot of questions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Two things to try since we're all hanging fire right now:

1) Go around your machines with a good DVM, and check a clean/dry/bare structural metal part with one probe, and a known good ground with the other, with the meter set to low voltage, both DC and AC.

Depending on sample rate and smoothing of the meter it may not tell you much, but if you get consistent voltage readings from all the machines that tells you one thing, an outlier tells you something else. You can do the same using the low current setting.

Would still prefer to have input on this from an EE, but what the heck, we've got time on our hands, right?

2) If you decide to make a fresh batch of coolant using the same base as your friends, collect some empty water vessels and go pay a visit, come back with enough for mixing and some make up. Clean the covers, do some work, over a period of time look for better, same, or worse staining.

3) If all your material has come from one vendor so far, try cleaning the covers and using a different mill's stock for a while. Maybe vendor "A" has some weird residual in the metal that's more reactive than it should be.

I quarter any animal to put on the points of the property to warn others to stay away

I did see a operator while visiting another shop, pee in the coolant.

After hearing back from different coolant companies. All are saying galvanic corrosion.

Qualichem said they are getting reports of alum with a higher silicone content. This is causing staining. They gave me a “anti alum stain” additive.

Your 3rd point Is valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had staining with 251c and eventually lots of slime issues. Could have been the coolant, water, mix, who knows but I have switched to Trim 690XT and I'm much happier.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the way cover material, galvannealed. is a Zinc-Iron alloy (after being annealed). Haas knows about it the issue but might be some time before fix is release because of Covid, so I'm told. I bought a small sheet of galvannealed material, applied coolant and few other samples I had. Same out come as my covers