What's new
What's new

Question on Classic Vs. NGC Controller

fostereast

Plastic
Aside from personal preferences or UI differences, is there any machining benefits that exist on the NGC control that do not exist on the previous control for Haas VMCs.

I was trying to determine what I might be giving up getting a machine circa 10yrs old vs a newer machine with the NGC. I was concerned about options like HSM and DWO, TCPC, etc... but to a Haas novice, it looks like any machining option or G-code that is available on the NGC can be found on the classic control.

I'm not aware that dwo or tcpc are available on the classic control, at least not on 17 software.

Really need more context regarding your needs.
For everyday standard 3 axis stuff, there is precious little that the NGC offers over the previous generations.
In fact the only thing I can mention which is a nice newbie is the variable spindle RPM to reduce chatter.

Other than that, the UI is quite a bit more capable, but also absolutely horrendous in it's implementation.
There are a few WTF issues with how it behaves at times, all due to careless or ignorant programming.

My biggest Pro for the NGC is how it behaves on the network for loading and saving programs.
Besides that ... mehh

Last edited:
I have both in the shop and both run the same programs with zero editing .. I think it was about 2014 or so when they went to the newer motors and drives and I would not back older than that do to the speed of the machine... the first year or so of the NGC software was "CRAP" .. but I got a new machine end of last year and for the most part the software works fine ,,, the only real change is in the probing and both have there good and bad points .. for 3 and 4 axis work the controls work the same and aside of a few buttons getting moved around both vary solid controls that are super user friendly

I looked a little deeper, for replacement parts, the newer servos (I checked a VF-SS in the Haas Parts lookup)are called out as early as 2012, but the G-Codes for DWO and TCPC show up in 2015 The 2015 manual does not refer to NGC, so I assumed the codes might have pre-existed prior to the Next Gen controller, but you what happens when you assume... Thanks everyone for the advice.

Any charcoal and white machine are considered digital. Old control and new. Might be the servo amplifier and servo. I heard the encoder count went way up with them and so did surface finish

As you mentioned there isn't an option for DWO or TCPC on the coldfire machines, other than a UMC-750 of the era. They went back and forth about it but ultimately ended up not offering those features for existing machines.
Code-wise there isn't much else aside form the interface fluff like "media display" and other things. The NGC controller comes with some features that formally cost a couple grand, so that's nice.

The biggest change with NGC (imo) relates to the maintenance side of things, such as how you no longer have access to any machine parameters and can perform next to no hardware repairs without paying your HFO to do it for you.

All things considered, having bought a dozen coldfire machines over the years then more recently an NGC mill and lathe, I would much rather deal with the coldfire controller so long as the machine was in good condition. Just my opinion though.

Am I the only one who likes the background editor? No mentions yet?

On NGC, you can only edit the current program, where the old control you can search, open, edit & save other programs in the background while the machine is running. I don't do much editing at the machine or after posting code, but I find it very handy on the floor while operating a machine.

Back