What's new
What's new

Reinshaw probe tip trouble staying centered

Mskiin

Plastic
Hello everyone

My probe tip seems to be having a hard time staying centered. I took it apart cleaned all the oil that was between the body and the holder and put it back together hoping it solved my problems. Re centered it and used it no problems. Come back to the shop today, cleaned the spindle taper and the prober taper loaded it up and checked center and it was out a .0005" over night. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. So I adjusted it again to no run out, tightened the top set screws that hold it in and used it. checked it 3 parts later and it was out another .0004". I did notice this new probe tip is off center where it gets shoved into the little metal taper. Could the stylus be moving? Not really sure what else to do. It's slowing me down constantly checking it.

Thank you.

Have you tried centering the probe and then just unload/reload into the spindle and check it again? Just a thought maybe your stylus isn't moving your probe is not repeatably reloading.

It's very easy, and somewhat understandable, to not tighten the 4 screws used for centering enough. But trust me, they need to be tight, but not so tight that they strip. Also, your taper needs to be clean and the tool holder for the probe. How old is the machine? Is the taper worn? Are the holders old, worn? All of these things make a big difference.

My first thought was in the taper as well. Worn and non-repeatable. The holder too.. new and of quality. Until we had our taper re-ground we had a random number generator. (I still laugh when I think of my Son calling it a random number generator). anyway, process of elimination. Our re-grind was $600 and stays to 10's 12" down with a quality holder.

It's very easy, and somewhat understandable, to not tighten the 4 screws used for centering enough. But trust me, they need to be tight, but not so tight that they strip. Also, your taper needs to be clean and the tool holder for the probe. How old is the machine? Is the taper worn? Are the holders old, worn? All of these things make a big difference.

So my spindle taper is fine and clean. every tool repeats with no run out, without using the probe It will go in an out and stay centered. I think the issue is that i'm not tightening them enough. The top 2 screws that retain it to the tool holder may be the issue. I seem to keep having to tighten them. I also may not be cranking down on the set screws enough because two of them are on the verge of stripping. I'll get some new set screws and give them some good cranks and go from there. The top 2 screws once i'm centered should be cranked down as well?

6-8 ft-lbs. of torque should be all it takes. Torque all the screws down evenly. Torque the top ones down lightly at first. Then as you reach the target torque on the centering screws, snug down the top ones too.
You could also check and map the runout on the holder where it meets the probe. When you find the probe is out of whack, you can check the holder to see if the runout follows

You are orienting it the same? IE not 180° different.

Yes.

So i got the new set screws in and I cranked them down, and when I was close to perfect I started cranking the top ones down. Finished the centering and made sure everything was tight, and wouldn't you know it's fine. The probe tip is crooked in metal tapered part, but it has stayed centered for 2 days now. Thanks all for the help. Turns out i just needed to skip the light touch and give her some new set screws and some more torque. Shes not going anywhere now.

Back