What's new
What's new

Relocating HAAS Mini Mills

Oben

Plastic
Hello, I work for a small company that is making a transition from old work horses (bridgeports) to Mini mills, however we need to relocate some of our machines to make the most of the space we have on offer, the owner/MD has a motion in his head that if we move the mills ourselves (5 meters at most) and relevel the mill will self power down and demand a tech to be involved.

Does anybody know if is this the case?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I work for a small company that is making a transition from old work horses (bridgeports) to Mini mills, however we need to relocate some of our machines to make the most of the space we have on offer, the owner/MD has a motion in his head that if we move the mills ourselves (5 meters at most) and relevel the mill will self power down and demand a tech to be involved.

Does anybody know if is this the case?

Thanks in advance

Not on a minimill (maybe all 3 axis Haas?), but he likely got the idea because some machines do have a sensor detecting movement and will throw an alarm. Those are generally higher end machines, and/or 5axis + type machines.*

*I don't inherently know that to be an absolute truth depending on vintage, but I have moved machines and not had any problems. However, you will need a precision level and the knowledge to re-level and not get the machine 'twisted' in any way.

my biggest concern would be the machines would need to be releveled and trammed before making parts.

You should have no worries provided your careful not to tip machines, have heads lowered and blocked.

As to leveling Haas did ours with a small machinist level and they have all run fine. Then again I went back with a Precision level and tweaked just because. Instructions on how to level are in your manual...or look Haas online.

Over the years we bought a couple of used machines, non Haas riggers and I leveled, our electrian hooked up and I was off and running.

In short...get 'er done.

We used to move Haas MM’s around on a near daily basis to form portions of a cell. Pallet jack them around, plug in the electrical plug and an air hose, then hit the green button. I once blocked the head on one and shipped it across the country... even left the tools and fixtures in place. Brought it into the new shop, plugged it in and ran the same program with the same tools and the same offsets.

Back