Renishaw Probe Calibration Problem - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

when you calibrate the tool setter, can't you just enter 2.9982/ or 3.0018 as the standard length and achieve the same thing?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Probe Length Calibration

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    when you calibrate the tool setter, can't you just enter 2.9982/ or 3.0018 as the standard length and achieve the same thing?
    I don't think so. I am in the process of switching from a Haimer 3D taster to the Renishaw WIPS probing on my 08VF2. I am using negative offsets and have Parameter 57, Bit 25 set to negative offsets. I researched this for quite a while and set all my tool offsets from a tool setter sitting on a precision square frame 200mm high. The 3D taster negative Z height was set to the egde of one of those tool height setters where the dial gauge reads zero when the central plunger meets the solid perimeter of the setter. Dial gauge made to equal 0 when you put a solid pin across the plunger and over the perimeter of the setter. Tools then set to plunger 0, and referenced to Haimer whose length was set to the solid edge of the tool setter (quivalent height to when plunger reads 0). I tools, also set using plunger 0, are shorter than Haimer by 70mm, tool length offset equals -70.000mm.

So then I start researching probing and setting OTS tool height using a known tool length(frankly exact length not really needed)and then referencing all tools to that - makes sense to me given what I was doing with Haimer. But when I think about how the probe length will be calibrated against the OTS - a probe with movement to come off its seat, against a tool setter that also has to come off its seat - then that doesn't make sense to me.

I wold have thought the best way to do this would be to use the same tool that was used to set the height of the OTS, and to bring that down to a tool setter like the one I was using with the Haimer, and when the central plunger reads 0, to read that Z height. then put OMP 40-2 probe in and bring it down on the solid edge of the same toolsetter, which is already calibrated to be the exact same height of the plunger at 0. Then you would know the exact length of the probe compared to the calibration tool that was used to set the OTS Z height.

So if I'm right, then why do the VQC and IPS probe length templates not allow you to do this. Instead they make you use shims and other systems that could result in work offset z heights being out compared to the tool lengths??

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... When tools, also set using plunger 0, are shorter than Haimer by 70mm, tool length offset equals -70.000mm.