What's new
What's new

Renishaw wips not repeating

ukkie

Plastic
Hi guys,

I have a VF4 SS with WIPS and I'm struggling to get the OTS to repeat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I had Haas out not that long ago to check something and they calibrated the system then ( about 4 weeks ago).

Today I tested a perfectly ground 10mm endmill ( brand new tool) in a shrink fit holder and touched the tool off. I repeated this about 7-8 times without changing anything in the offsets and I got a 40 micron swing in the readings. Started off at 9.999 then went to .994, then .988 then 10.028 and so on.

I know it could well be that the calibration is out for some reason but the machine has done next to nothing since it was calibrated and its a brand new machine. Could it be anything else causing this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Check to make sure everything is tight on the disc to the ots body and then make sure your setscrews are all tight.

Then make sure your disc is flat in the x and y directions. Recalibrate it all and should be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Check to make sure everything is tight on the disc to the ots body and then make sure your setscrews are all tight.

Then make sure your disc is flat in the x and y directions. Recalibrate it all and should be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This. And what Mike linked to is ideal and would make it much easier to calibrate, a gage pin indicated in a holder works fine too.

Make sure everything is tight and level per above. Indicate and see if ots is moving first though? It should repeat around .0002", although it can be a touch more from cold to warm.

Thanks for the help! I will make sure its all tight and give it another go!

OK… any suggestions what else could be out? the OTS seems to be reading 2 microns runout? We redid the calibration and it didn't look out at all to be fair, yet my tools and holder still showing around 30 microns. We have cleaned everything to ensure no chips etc are causing the issue. Is it possible a shrink fit holder can be out???

In my experience you have to fiddle with the macro settings to get this closest, I really don't know why a standard calibration doesn't get closer, at least for me.

Per the Renishaw manual:

#582 = Z calibration value non rotating tool measure ( higher value = longer measured tool)

#583 = Z calibration value rotating tool

#584 = Stylus diameter. (fiddle with this one to get your measured tool diameter dialed in)

#585 = X stylus center

#586 = Y stylus center

My VM3 will do this when the Royal filtermist is running and vibrating the enclosure. Is there some type of vibration? Maybe a close by machine taking heavy cuts?

Your toolholder could definitely be the culprit, put a tenth indicator on the table and check the runout with no tool, and then the runout with a tool inserted.
What exactly are you following for calibration, is your tool probe working well if you have one? Is the machine cutting accurately?

Back