What's new
What's new

98 Haas VF-OE rapids 710ipm??? Cutting feedrate is...??? Real expectations?

Tryhard

Aluminum
Have my machine back together now. Will have coolant in it over the next day or two and an immediate need to begin making parts.

Machine is:
1998 Haas VF-OE 20hp, 7500rpm, 710ipm, brushless servos, 30amp
It's just the basic machine without HSM, extended memory or anything else remarkable.

After connecting the RS232, I wanted to see the machine move, if nothing else just to cut air with no tool or vises on the table so I posted a sample program from my cam that had a remark line "using G1 @ 500ipm instead of G0" ...or something of that nature. Understanding that is just a post processor setting preference I didn't feel like fooling with it at the time. So I ran the program anyway. The machine ran as normal but did nothing when it got to the G1 at 500ipm. Wasn't surprised, but figured it would have given me an error or at least ran at what max rate it could. (Is there a parameter setting?)

Just wanted to see how it acted when it got to that line as it is understood that the machine does not have the 500ipm cutting capability. I know my post processor needs some fiddlin with, and I will do that. However, this brings me to the following line of questions...

- With a big red sticker on the front panel of the machine saying "710ipm", What should I expect this machine will actually rapid at for the G00?

- Regarding the G01 I will of course be following SFM and chip per tooth recommendations in cutting, but what is the highest cutting feedrate that the 98 Haas VF-0E capable of moving at in a straight line? Reliably?

- Finally, in 90 degree cornering what feed rate should I reduce to in order to not round corners off with this machine?

- What max RPMs and feed rates do you guys typically aim for on your older haas machines?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys on this!

1.jpg

710 ipm is actually rapid. feed is obviously much less. straight line cuts 250 to 300 on long straight line cuts would be about max.depending on bore or interpolation can be anything from 50 to 150 ipm . you will learn in tight holes that you can have overshooting issues if you feed to fast. learn your machine and you will make good parts. YMMV

Back