What's new
What's new

Rs-232 com board, which one is it?

machineit2

Hot Rolled
I have a 1996 VF-2 that will not send programs back to the computer. It was that way since the day I got it about 5 years ago. I would like to get this fixed and I want to know what board the RS-232 function is on.

It receives programs fine, but when you attempt to send, it beeps but nothing gets sent or maybe a few characters. To save a program I have to send it to the floppy drive and take it to the computer by hand.

Can someone tell me please?

Thanks in advance----Mike

This could be multiple issues relating to cable and data transfer settings. I'm not expert on the matter but this is what I understand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

were I use to work I am retired now we had this same issue in the beginning transfer. it took a lot of digging.
it's being a while so bear with me.
google how the cabling is hard wired to the serial ports. it had to be wired to a specific diagram for serial communication.
set the program to the lowest setting for transfer rate, the machines CNC to computer have to have the same handshake and speed.
google the transport protocol hand shake and speed because this was years ago and equipment changes.
since the cnc can receive cabling is partially correct, I purchased serial port plugs that had to wired and assemble.
with the correct serial cabling.
I would bet a better way to is network with network cards and networked systems now a days.

the manufactures of the machine do this day in and out. I suggest to consult them because, I could be way off now.
like I said I had to do a lot of investigation.

Obviously, based on the answers I am receiving, I am unable to properly explain the problem. So please disregard this thread, since I am not able to delete it.

Thanks--Mike

On my '91 VF-1 both RS232 ports are on the processor board. The manual shows one on the processor board and the other on the video board.
Getting only a few characters sounds like the handshaking is wrong.

Back