What's new
What's new

RS232 communication 1995 VF-OE

hend.engineering

Aluminum
Hi,
Just about got my VF up and running and I'm at the stage where I'd like to transfer a program to the machine - And I'm getting nowhere!

I have a null RS232 cable (4m long) Db25 to DB9, into a TrippLite usb serial adapter. This is visible as COM7 in my computers setting but I'm lost as to how to confirm that it is a successful connection and how the hell am I meant to send a program?

Spent about 5hrs infront of the laptop trying various forums, programs, add=ons , javas, settings and I'm just pulling my hair out.

Can somebody please walk me through it at village idiot levels of detail please?

Haas manual is no help and makes it seem very easy but explains nothing about suitable software, and seemingly everyone on youTube did it by accident and fail to explain any of the details and tripping hazards I seem to be facing.

Yours in desperate need to make a success of this,
Tom.

First, you should use a full handshake cable (besides TX, RX and GND includes CTS, RTS, DSR). Hardware has to be set for RTS/CTS (or Xon/Xoff) flow control.
The old Haas receiver only has a 16 byte buffer. A PC throws out data faster than the VF can dump out the buffer. You need to go into the device manager Com port and change the FIFO Tx buffer to 0 and disable the FIFO.
The speed, stop and parity must be the same as on the VF. I have my VF set to 384kN1. Default VF is 9600N1.
A straight or serial cable has Tx -> Tx. A Null cable has Tx -> Rx. You want a Null cable.

For what its worth, in full disclosure I am no PC expert.
I am using a 2009 vintage Macbook running windows XT on Berta, my '93 VF-0.

Don't laugh - it works!

It's non internet connected, files are loaded from a thumb drive. I use hyperterminal to transfer text files *.txt with these settings on both the laptop and Berta; 9600 baud rate, 8 bits, Even parity, X on / X off. Made up a cable per the Haas manual using a USB adapter. Blinking blue light tells me I did it right.

One odd thing is I cannot load directly from thumb drive, I just drag and drop onto the desktop and work from there. I can also drip feed in this way for larger programs.

Good luck!

To receive press list programs button then arrow key down the list of programs(if any) to all this will highlight it, then press receive rs232 button you should see waiting in the bottom corner of the haas screen. Then send your program.

Hi, making some progress...using Advanced serial port monitor it briefly shows me that a program is coming out of the port, meanwhile Hyperterminal is sat there waiting to receive the program and shows no life.

I cut up and changed my cable to suit the paperwork that haas uk sent me this afternoon.
Confusingly is contradicts the manual version by having...
DB9 - DB25
1-------------20
2---------------2
3---------------3
4---------------6
5---------------7
6-------------20
7--------------5
8--------------4
9- No connection

Where the manual with the machine puts
1 - ground
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - CTS (Optional)
5 - RTS (Optional)
7 - 7 (Signal ground)

Which one should I go with?

Hi, making some progress...using Advanced serial port monitor it briefly shows me that a program is coming out of the port, meanwhile Hyperterminal is sat there waiting to receive the program and shows no life.

I cut up and changed my cable to suit the paperwork that haas uk sent me this afternoon.
DB9 - DB25
1-------------20
2---------------2
3---------------3
4---------------6
5---------------7
6-------------20
7--------------5
8--------------4
9- No connection

1 - ground
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - CTS (Optional)
5 - RTS (Optional)
7 - 7 (Signal ground)

Did you cut the null return cable? Why?

My setup is as follows win 7 laptop + usb to serial adapter+ null return 9 to 25 pin cable working with this for over 12 years. You should have tried a old computer example win 98 desktop with proper serial port first before cutting cables.

Simply because the pinouts of the cable I bought didn't match either of the two configurations above!

I'm conscious of the fact I've affected the shielding, but it's been reset fairly well.

How goes your cable? Which of the above configurations are you running?
Thanks,
Tom.

DB9 - DB25
1-------------20
2---------------2
3---------------3
4---------------6
5---------------7
6-------------20
7--------------5
8--------------4
9- No connection

1 - ground
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - CTS (Optional)
5 - RTS (Optional)
7 - 7 (Signal ground)

I have checked my cable here it is the top one

Mine is the same as the top except DB9(1) -> DB25(6) and DB25(8) and DB25(20) connect together. I use this for both my Fanuc and VF-1. I also use a CAT5 cable between DB->CAT5 adapters since CAT5 cables are cheap plus twisted pairs to reduce noise.
PC-FANUC_RS232_fHS.jpg
You HAVE to set up the PC for handshake, plus the speed, parity, stop bits and limit the PC FIFO.

Mine is the same as the top except DB9(1) -> DB25(6) and DB25(8) and DB25(20) connect together. I use this for both my Fanuc and VF-1. I also use a CAT5 cable between DB->CAT5 adapters since CAT5 cables are cheap plus twisted pairs to reduce noise.
View attachment 267780
You HAVE to set up the PC for handshake, plus the speed, parity, stop bits and limit the PC FIFO.

Just checked my cable again here to make sure and I don't have the additional connections hope the info helps.

Nailed it!

Simple thing, found a program that worked and it transferred.

One CNCs NClink program and with the lead configured as per the more complicated arrangement above.

Thanks everybody for your input, I just can't believe it was so damned simple in the end.

For whatever reason with my laptop :-
Universal G code sender - Useless.
Hyperterminal - Useless.

Anyway, machined a bit of fresh air but the machine didn't like the first line of code...

G90 G93 G17 ;

Error 310 Invalid code...
Single blocked through the rest without an issue.

Any ideas? (I'll post a screenshot if required)

Back