What's new
What's new

Running $10K a HASS VF3 in a home machine shop

MB107

Plastic
I have a need for a huge (huge to me) working area milling machine for my home. I currently have a old 1966 standard Bridgeport Series 1 step pulley machine. I can get the work done on it with multiple setups and a lot of difficulty and of course all with manual machining. And with all the cantilevered weight of the material hanging off the edge of the tiny Bridgeport table coupled with an old worn out Bridgeport accuracy is severely compromised.

The part being machined is mounted on a 36 x 24" cast aluminum plate. So it appears to me the perfect machine for this would be a HASS VF3YT possibly a standard VF3 with a second setup.

So as you can see the setup I'm using leads to many inaccuracies where holding ~0.020" tolerance is a challenge but that is fine for what I'm doing here. Occasionally I see VF3's come up on Ebay for under $10K. So the first question is what can I expect for a $10K machine. Remember I'm not building turbine engine parts. And then there is the challenge getting 3 phase with 240 single phase 200 amp service available. The most practical VF3's would be the older ones with 15 HP and 15HP would be preferred.

As far as manual machines that would do the job, A MAHO MH 1000 would probably work as well, but not likely to find in the states for under $10K

Your Thoughts

IMG_20210131_190629219.jpg
IMG_20210121_015752127.jpg

Cheap clapped out Haas machines go for more then 10k. Your looking for a larger one...

Can you find one in running condition that will do your work for under 10K.

Maybe...in the right place at the right time.

Now lets say you do find and buy the machine, have it rigged and put in your garage, run 3 phase power or a phase converter to it and she fires right up.

If its working it will make small work out of what you need.

Now comes the "if its an old machine and something goes wrong" thing. Old machines, old parts, old well used parts, old boards, old wires, old connections the stuff goes. Are you prepared to spend the time learning the machine to get it back up and running OR are you willing to pay $130/hr for a Haas tech to come out and work on your machine. Even cheap visits from a tech fall in the 700-$1000 range. Need a board, motor, double or triple that. Some of the older processors boards are not available and need to be upgraded at a cost of $15K. OR you send it out for repair...if they can.
Are you prepared to be down while the machine is down?

All that said I have a 91 VF-1 that is still running pretty well. But if something major goes...it goes.

Good luck.

Find retired or ex-haas technicians in your area.
If You can get 2, then You have a reasonable base for service for cheap.

Otoh, at Haas, we always had reasonable rates.
Contrasted to ultra expensive japanese brands, we were much more reasonable.
We as in I was the Haas Spain manager selling the stuff, and increasing sales 11-x in one year, 2011-2012.
(Disclosure).

Two available right now.

Haas VF-3 CNC Vertical Machining Center | eBay

1994 Haas VF3 Vertical Machining Center ( Video Available ) | eBay

Rigging that would be me.

3 Phase power that would be a tough one. Looks like it would require a rotary converter. About $100 per HP new. Hopefully I could find one used. I don't see much over 5 HP available in VFD inverters with single phase input.

Am I prepared to spend time learning how to service it. Absolutely, I'm retired. Likelihood of me ever seeing a Hass representative would be very slim.

$15K for a new mother board, that is an eye opener. Is there a good used market for these. HASS has then listed at $6500 with exchange $7500 outright. Of course they say must be installed by HASS so I don't know if they would even sell me one without a tech visit. Same for all the rest of the electrical parts.

Machine down time is not an issue, but certainly wouldn't want it to become a garage queen.

These things are about 14,000 pounds. Any idea what kind of concreate is required to support that. I currently have 6" rebar reinforced.

A little on the small side but still a quantum leap over the Bridgeport Series 1. How do you think that would compare with a Cincinnati #3.

In doing further research it appears that there are several Bed Mills that are perfect for this job or will do the job with 2 setups. The best one I found so far is the Fryer MB-16Q. Several Fryer MB-14Q currently available on eBay in the $10K range. The MB-14's and several other bed mill I found would require a second setup.

The bed mills offer three big advantages which are of particular interest to me.
1) Lower power requirements
2) Manual control
3) A head that will tilt

In my situation this is really the optimum solution.

Thank You to all who replied.

In doing further research it appears that there are several Bed Mills that are perfect for this job or will do the job with 2 setups. The best one I found so far is the Fryer MB-16Q. Several Fryer MB-14Q currently available on eBay in the $10K range. The MB-14's and several other bed mill I found would require a second setup.

The bed mills offer three big advantages which are of particular interest to me.
2) Manual control
3) A head that will tilt

I love my bed mill for one-offs that require looking around to get things set up. I know you're probably not supposed to use your eyes to set up a machine, but I still find it helpful. Safety squints.....ENGAGE! (only kidding, no matter how tough you are if you take some metal into the eye you might be blind, wear your f'n safety glasses/shield/etc.)

2) Manual control
3) A head that will tilt

If you go this route I can give you a name of a guy that used to work for Fryer, he worked on the software and controls.

I love my bed mill for one-offs that require looking around to get things set up. I know you're probably not supposed to use your eyes to set up a machine, but I still find it helpful. Safety squints.....ENGAGE! (only kidding, no matter how tough you are if you take some metal into the eye you might be blind, wear your f'n safety glasses/shield/etc.)

The nice thing about the bed mill is I can use it to replace my bridge port, instead of having two machines. There are times when a manual machine is the way to go.

Today I was die grinding. Safety glasses and full face shield.

For anyone interested in the idea of actually putting a 15hp Haas VF-3 in a residential garage, and doing it on their own, then search "Lucas is Busy" on youtube and watch his video series where he does just that.
You will be amazed.

For anyone interested in the idea of actually putting a 15hp Haas VF-3 in a residential garage, and doing it on their own, then search "Lucas is Busy" on youtube and watch his video series where he does just that.
You will be amazed.

I am not amazed. And I can't stand the way the moron prances around waving his arms like an idiot not to mention sticking his face in the camera. The "music" is irritating as well

I’d vote for a fadal 6030 or 5020. The 6030 would not fit in a garage but could be had cheap and is easily repaired unlike the haas.

Fadal 4020 is great too I’ll have a nice one for sale soon if you might be interested

You will be amazed.

Pretty impressive. I wish I had his energy.

Back