Running from USB question
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Running from USB question

So, I'm looking to find a used machine, like a VF-5 or 6, no older than a 2006. I want to use it just for roughing out some larger aluminum parts. I notice on most used machines I see, they usually don't have much for options. Most of my roughing ops end up in the 5-10mb range. So my question is, if you have a machine with the standard 1mb memory, can you run a 5mb program straight from a USB drive? All my machines have expanded memory, so I don't really have anything to try it on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes if you're machine came with the USB option you can run a program from the USB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Better yet, the ethernet option. May not be an option on the NGC?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 2006 VM3, I think I have 32mb of memory (expanded memory option). I have it networked,it has USB, and it has a 40GB hard drive onboard. I can run programs direct from network, usb, or RS232 serial, or transfer from those to internal memory or the hard drive and run from there.

Lots of ways to do it, but your mileage may vary based on the exact machine, year, software version, options, etc.

I'm running some very intricate parts right now with about a 12MB program size and it's a breeze compared to my old '93 VF3 where I really only have serial as an option (and like 80k of memory! DNC dripfeed every time).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a suggestion on what I did for an older machine.... USB to 232 (more or less a drip solution I guess). But here are several options that could work for large files via USB. I do not endorse one over the other.. just something to give ya ideas.

Highland DNC, LLC.

Haas USB FLASH memory upgrade for all Haas CNC Machines, connects to RS232 702038326380 | eBay

DNC software : dead easy to use : RS232 transfer between CNC and PC