What's new
What's new

Running VF2SS with phase converter 100A single phase

Bradyz

Plastic
My shop space only has 100A of single phase power for the whole shop (mini split, computer, lighting, compressor, no other machines). On their website Haas says it is 70A 3-phase full load for a VF2SS. I have considered moving to a DM2 because full load on that is only 17A. What do you guys think? I am only machining aluminum parts about 3"x3"x4". Do you think I should move to a DM2 or should I be just fine getting away with a VF2SS. Bonus of the DM2 is that I could add another in the future with how little power it takes. If I go for the VF2SS what phase converter would you suggest? Thanks guys!

My shop space only has 100A of single phase power for the whole shop (mini split, computer, lighting, compressor, no other machines). On their website Haas says it is 70A 3-phase full load for a VF2SS. I have considered moving to a DM2 because full load on that is only 17A. What do you guys think? I am only machining aluminum parts about 3"x3"x4". Do you think I should move to a DM2 or should I be just fine getting away with a VF2SS. Bonus of the DM2 is that I could add another in the future with how little power it takes. If I go for the VF2SS what phase converter would you suggest? Thanks guys!

There is a secret society of machinists here rumored to be running multiple machining centers on much less. Including VF-2SS's You may find that the power requirements are greatly exaggerated. I'm certainly going to watch this thread very closely as my next large spend may be on doing this very thing.

There is a secret society of machinists here rumored to be running multiple machining centers on much less. Including VF-2SS's You may find that the power requirements are greatly exaggerated. I'm certainly going to watch this thread very closely as my next large spend may be on doing this very thing.

He is correct. For many years I ran two VF-2's, a Hardinge CNC lathe, saws and a manual mill on a 20 HP phase convertor that was on a 40 amp breaker. I now have two converters, but I am moving to Tennessee where the shop I building has 400 amp three phase and I will be glad to ditch the converters.

The ratings on these machines are for full load on every axis all at the same time, full load on X, Y ,Z, A, B, every pump motor and on and on. You simply never do that.

Mike

P.S.: If you can go to a DM-2, then maybe the VF-2SS is over kill in the first place for what you are doing. You will not make parts much quicker and can afford additional machines as needed. The older VF's only used a total of only 30 total amps to begin with.

Back